ch. 15 ✰ a text from the devil

Suhana and Neha chatter indistinctively as I walk towards them, carrying my empty bowl that was once filled with cereal and milk in my hand. When they notice me walking towards them, they share a joyous grin with me and immediately move aside on the tanning chairs that they are partaking. "Hey guys," I beam. "What're y'all talking about?"

"Ah, nothing much," Neha sighs. "We were mainly chattering about how beautiful the weather is going to be today."

"Yeah," Suhana speaks up. "Yesterday was terribly humid, but today it seems to be a warm day, obviously not as bad as yesterday."

"Thank God," I snort. "I swear I've sweat more yesterday than I ever had in my entire life." Neha and Suhana start laughing.

Then, Neha speaks up again. "So, how are you doing, Reeya? You enjoying Costa Rica so far?"

I chuckle to myself. "Hell yeah. I have to admit, I've never felt so genuinely happy before."

"That's wonderful." Suhana places a reassuring hand on my thigh. "I know you've had a rough week before vacay, so it's great to hear that you're doing great."

"Totally," I breathe out. "I'm honestly just trying to enjoy my days here before I have to go back to New York and find a goddamn job."

"I'm sure you'll be fine, boo," Neha grins. "You seem to be a very hard working and determined woman."

Heat creeps up to my cheeks. "Thanks," I reply sheepishly.

"I'm serious," Neha purrs. "And if it makes you feel any better, at least you don't have to deal with an annoying guy that's been up your ass."

I laugh out loud. "Are you talking about Ali?"

"Yup," Neha groans. "I swear, ever since we've arrived here, he's been so annoying to me and just won't leave me the fuck alone."

"But why though?" I question.

"God knows why," she immediately replies. "Dude, I freaking breathe and he starts coming at me!"

Suhana smirks at Neha and pokes her side. "I have a gut feeling that Ali has a crush on you."

I think this is probably just me realizing this, but I swear I just saw Neha's cheeks turn to a dark red color. "Hah, as if," she murmurs.

"I think Suhana might be coming on to something," I raise my eyebrows at Neha while Suhana giggles in the background. "I mean, why else would he annoy you? It's so obvious that he has a thing for you, Neha!"

"I don't know," she mutters. "Ali has always hooked up with skinny white girls, but never Indian girls, especially fatones," she frowns.

I blow out some air from my mouth. "Well, maybe it's different for you," I point out. "Those are just hookups, but maybe he actually likes you." She looks at me for a few seconds and then dismissively shakes her head. "I'm pretty sure he doesn't."

"Do you?" Suhana asks. "I mean, do you like him?"

Neha pauses for a few moments to ponder to herself, and then she takes a deep breath. "I never really thought about it, so I'm not exactly sure. But if I were to get to know him more, then I guess I can try it out with him."

"Wow!" I chuckle. "That's pretty great, Neha."

"Yeah," she blushes to herself. "I just—I don't know, this is all just so new to me."

"What do you mean?" Suhana and I ask at the same time.

"What I mean is," Neha pauses again, "I never really had the time to focus on guys because, well, a girl like me never got one in the first place. What you skinny and perfect girls will never get how grueling it is being a plus sized girl, especially in a country where standards are so high for girls in the first place."