ch. 2 ✰ saying what needs to be said

My heart beats anxiously against my chest as those words escape from my mouth. Did I just say that I want to go on a two week all expense paid trip with my long lost best friend and her fiancé and possibly other people? This day sure has been a very interesting one.

"Oh my God!" Ayushi squeals. I can just imagine her jumping up and down, possibly shaking the floors of her house.  I chuckle to myself. "Yeah, sure. Why not?"

"At least sound excited about it, though!" Ayushi yelps across the phone. I cringe to myself. Damn, how many cups of coffee did she drink? "Trust me, this trip is going to be amazing! It is going to be filled with endless amounts of partying, drinking, and going to the beach! I mean, Ree Ree... don't you live in New York? And last time I checked, I don't think there are many beaches near New York..."

Shit, she really has a point, though.

I roll my eyes to myself. "Okay, fine!" Ayushi screams into the phone and hysterically giggles. "Yippee! I'm so happy!" I nervously chuckle. There goes my hearing.

I hear voices on the other side of the phone as Ayushi sighs to herself. "I'm sorry Ree Ree, but I have to go now. Duty calls," she melancholily sighs. "I'll send you the deets by this week so you can prepare! And don't worry about the plane tickets either, I got your back on the expenses!"

"But, you don't have to—" I start to say but Ayushi cuts me off. "Okay, good bye bestie!" The call ends as I scoff to myself. She's paying for everything? How rich could she possibly get? Here she is, paying for maybe not just mine's but everyone's plane tickets and expenses and I can't even afford to live in a two bedroom studio apartment with a roommate. I am the literal definition of broke.

I lean back onto my bed and let out an exasperated breath out of my mouth. This day was the most fucked up day I have ever endured. First, my boyfriend of two months cheated on me with my best friend/roommate Chelsea, and now I am going on a two week vacation to Costa Rica in a week?

My phone sits beside me as I pick up and dial my mom's number. I have to call my parents and let them know I am going to go on a vacation. They will one hundred percent disapprove of me going on vacation and not concentrate on work and make insufficient amounts of money, but maybe when I mention the fact that Ayushi and her neurosurgeon fiancé are going then maybe they will be a little bit less up my ass about it.

When Ayushi and I used to hang out all the time, my parents always—and I mean always—treated Ayushi as if she was their own daughter. I was the disgrace in the family, so I guess my parents went on over to Ayushi, because obviously she is better looking and smarter than me, and admired the things she did. And I was always used to my parents always overlooking me because they did the same thing with me and my brother.

The phone rings multiple times as I anxiously bite my lip to the point where I think it is going to tear off. Finally, I hear a voice on the other end of the call. "Hello, Reeya?"

I hear my mom's drained voice. My parents are always stressed, and I guess that is one of the many side effects of being a well-paid lawyer. They live in this massive modern house in urban Pennsylvania, right near Philadelphia, which they moved from suburban New York to where they live now shortly after Ayushi and her parents moved to California. And from there on out, my parents do not really communicate with me and I guess it is safe to say that they ignore me at some points and only acknowledge my brother. Although, they do call me here and there and make sure that I'm alive and breathing, which I'm assuming is their way of checking up on their only daughter, hence known as a huge disgrace to the Advani family.

"Hi Mom!" I try to sound like my life is together, as if my ex-boyfriend did not just cheat on me. "How have you guys been?"

"Um, pretty good," my mom mutters. I think she is pretty surprised by the fact that I just called her, which I pretty much never do. And, to be honest, calling her right now is making me feel very uneasy.