ch. 12 ✰ it's okay, i got you

I watch Akash walk away into a huge crowd of people as my mouth is gaped open in shock and utter disbelief. Here he was again, touching me in explicit areas and speaking intense words that made my ears burn with heat.

Taking a deep breath, I stumble to a secluded area to organize my swarming thoughts, but I suddenly feel a hand on my shoulder. I thought it might have been Akash who decided to stay with me, but it is instead Ayushi. When she first arrived here, she looked so put together, but now her hair is messy and tangled in some areas and her lipstick is smudged, her lips slightly swollen.

I smirk at her. "Had a rough time with Manav in the VIP section?"

The music is less louder here in the corner of the club than it is in the exact center of it, so we don't exactly have to yell whenever we talk. And not even that, I also feel a pounding headache on its way because my temples are starting to slightly ache. I guess it's because of the overwhelming amount of alcohol I've consumed in only an hour, but hey, you know what they say—you only live once.

Ayushi sits beside me on the plush sofa by a huge neon sign that illuminates the words LIVE LIFE FREELY. Then, she turns towards me with a broad grin plastered on her face. "Maybe..."

I smack her arm playfully. "C'mon, Ayu! Judging by your look, I'm pretty sure you guys got it on in there."

She sighs. "Okay, we have!" I grin at her. "It was very wonderful," she continues speaking. "It was our third time doing it together and I still feel that rush and excitement I felt the first time we did it together, which was not too long ago."

"That's wonderful," I smile at her. "I'm happy for you guys."

"Thanks, Ree Ree," she smiles back, placing her hand on my thigh. "That means a lot."

"Of course," I reply.

There are a few moments of silence until Ayushi speaks again. "Also, I just want to tell you..." she looks at me straight in the eyes with a warm and welcoming presence. "Thank you."

I scrunch my eyebrows in confusion. "For what?"

"For being here, with me. I know we lost touch for a whole lot of years, and I honestly feel like that was my fault because I got so busy with medical school, the engagement, and my life itself," she sighs in despair.

"Ayu, that is not your fault," I reassure her. "When life goes on, we get busier and often lose touch with our close friends, and that is okay. People get busy with their careers, and there's nothing wrong with that."

"I know," she sadly smiles. This is the first time I've seen Ayushi look sad because she always has a positive presence around her. But this time, she looks sad, as if she feels guilt for the things that have been occurring. "And I also feel bad about you."

"Me?" I chuckle. "Why me?"

"Because we lost touch, Ree Ree," she frowns. "I lost touch with my closest friend, the only person that stuck with me since day one. I'm sorry for that," she looks at me solemnly.

"Oh my God, no, Ayu." I wrap my arms around her, and she melts into my arms. "That's not your fault, okay? And don't focus on the past too much; we are here together now and that is all that truly matters."

Ayushi sniffles and looks up at me. Is she crying? Maybe she drank too much. "Yeah, I guess you're right," she mumbles. "At least we're together now," she echoes my words.

As I continue to hug her, a couple of moments later she releases from my touch and a bright smile appears on her face. And she's back. "Sorry I got so sentimental for a second," she nervously chuckles. "I'm just so overwhelmed with this whole engagement thing."