Epilogue

LUKE'S POV

A fit of laughter erupted between my mother and Maia as they sat side by side on the living room couch.

The only thing was that, I wasn't part of it because of the reason that caused the laughter to burst out.

I stood, a good ten meters away from them, and crossed my arms in front of me. Putting on the biggest disapproving look on my face. Too bad it didn't phase them at all.

Maia looked up at me and tried to innocently smile up at me. But I shook my head in disapproval.

"Once when he was younger, I found his hands in a tub of margarine. He used to lick it off his fingers." Mom laughed, telling another embarrassing story about me.

Maia laughed too. Story after story, the laughter got quieter, and the stories weren't as funny as more of informal.

"I guess there isn't much to tell about Luke." Mom laughed to herself. "He was always a goody-two-shoes."

Maia giggled at that and nodded in agreement.

"I am not." I interjected and stomped my foot on the ground.

Mom and Maia stared at me in silence. Until Mom spoke up again.

"He also never grew out of his childish stage." She whispered to Maia, she giggled and nodded. Again.

I rolled my eyes at them and walked over to the couch.

I squeezed in between Maia and Mom, separating them and preventing them from exchanging more embarrassing traits about me.

I wrapped an arm around Maia and kissed her temple. I looked to Mom, she just smiled weakly at us.

Tonight is the first time Mom has properly met Maia.

I was basically asking her for the approval of our relationship with my eyes.

Mom wasn't easy. She had to grow comfortable with someone before she finally claims that she liked them.

I just hoped she liked Maia.

One of the worst things in life was to have your mother hate the girl you love.

Trust me, I've been there.

Mom's smile grew as she spoke, "I like you, Maia."

Maia leaned forward to have a better look at my mother. Her smile evident.

"The first time we met was improper." Mom noted, "And you're only one that hasn't complained about Luke's... problem." She added quietly.

And by problem, she meant my constant need to act childish and immature until I accidentally break something.

It happened just a week ago, I broke my guitar. Maia was annoyed because she never heard me play. But she was quick to forgive me when I promised her that I'd buy a new one just so I can play it for her.

-

After senior year was over.

She walked out through the mass of people, scrunching up the end of her gown in her hands as she ran into my arms.

I picked her up and spun us around in circles.

I was so fucking proud.

"You made it." I whispered in her ear as I set her back down on her feet, still not breaking from the embrace.

"We made it." She corrected me.

I chuckled lightly, looking over her shoulder. Watching everyone hold onto their loved ones as they cheer for their almost near freedom.