2.5

I woke up, feeling the weight of the bed shifting to the other side of where I laid and a sudden disappearance in warmth.

I already knew that Luke was out of bed, but it wasn't until I heard some drawers open and close shut and a door creak open when I began to worry.

"Luke?" I sat up on the bed and saw him stand frozen in place. It was still dark out, I had no idea why Luke was awake at this hour. "What are you doing?" I whispered, not having enough energy to speak louder.

"I, um, just wanted to..." I saw him hide something behind his back, knowing what he most likely wanted to do, "get some air." He breathed out the last part.

"At this time of day?" I tried to keep my eyes open and squinted to clear my vision of him.

"Couldn't sleep." Luke shrugged.

I rubbed the sleep out my eyes and began to get out of bed too. "I'll come with-"

"No." Luke said a bit too quickly and loudly.

"Why not?" I walked over to him, shuddering as my feet made contact with the cold wooden floor.

"I just," He looked around and scratched the back of his neck with his free hand. "need some air, Maia. I'll be back. I promise"

"Luke... why can't I come with you?" I groaned.

"I just want to be alone, Maia. Why can't you let me be?" Luke countered.

It struck me that I once said the same to him, that night of the party.

But I wanted to be alone because I wanted to be away from him, did he feel the same way right now?

"Luke," I shook my head, "what's behind your back?" I whispered, not really wanting to know the answer.

Luke sighed deeply and pulled out a pack of cigarettes and a lighter. The lighter seemed old, it had been written on with a black marker, but the context of the writing was fading.

I eyed the lighter, trying to decode what was written, but it felt nearly impossible with Luke's thumb in the way.

"Can I come with you?" I asked, wanting to be left alone in his room.

"To smoke?" Luke asked, sounding surprised at my question.

"No," I shook my head, "I just want to be with you."

Luke exhaled deeply and crossed his arms across his chest. He narrowed his eyes and stared at our bare feet. My gaze lingered for a while, staring at him as he gnawed on his lip ring.

"Alright," He gave up, "but I need you to be quiet, okay?" His eyes were dying out of their electric blue and seemed to change into a duller tone.

I nodded and stared at him subconsciously.

It hurt to see him like this, it made me wonder if I had caused him to feel a little upset. The corners of his mouth tugged down slightly and his good posture was converted to a tired looking one. He had bags under his eyes which made me wonder if he actually got any sleep at all in the first place.

I glanced at his wall clock, it was half past six! The sun would be out soon. Did he want to watch the sunrise? If so, why wouldn't he have woken me up to watch it with him?

Luke shoved the pack and lighter into his pocket and picked up a large sweater off the ground, handing it to me.

"Its pretty cold out." Luke said quietly. I nodded and pulled the sweater over my head and down my body.

He grabbed my hand and made our way downstairs to the back of the house, where the sliding glass door was.

The curtains in front of the doors were pulled over, concealing the ocean view.