2.0

"What are you doing for Christmas?" Luke asked while he unpacked a box of vinyls.

"I'm not sure." I leaned onto a shelf and folded my arms over my chest.

I came in just a few minutes ago and found Luke opening a couple of boxes and placing records onto shelves. The bookstore wasn't going to sell CDs because they claimed that CDs were too modern for a bookstore named 'The Old One'. So they decided to sell records and record players instead, which is actually pretty cool in my opinion.

"Are your parents back home yet?" He asked as he carefully set the vinyl and their cases on the shelves and organized them depending on their genres.

"No." I said like I was stating the obvious.

"Will they be back in time for Christmas?" He looked back up at me, his eyes already apologizing for me.

"No." I repeated.

Luke inhaled and exhaled deeply. "I'm sorry."

"Its fine. It doesn't matter. My Christmas' are never great anyways." I shook my head, "But Ruth says she's going downtown to spend it with an old friend, she asked me to come with but I declined her offer. I didn't want to spend it with her anyways." I sighed.

"Why not?" He cocked an eyebrow.

"I just, don't find her attitude appealing." I shrugged.

Luke chuckled and resumed organizing the piles of records.

"What are you doing for Christmas?" I asked.

"Nothing." Luke answered blankly.

"Who are you spending it with?" I interrogated.

"My dad." He shrugged, "But he might not be home, he might spend it with a couple of friends."

"What about your mom?" I asked.

"She doesn't spend Christmas with us anymore." He shrugged, "She goes over to a friend's house, has been for four years. Five now."

I stayed silent. Seeing how his features looked sad and I noticed that I had entered a sensitive topic.

"So..." I dragged the word out.

"So..." he repeated.

"You'll be alone on Christmas?" I asked.

"I can say the same for you." He glanced over to me and smirked.

"Yes, you can." I whispered to myself.

We were quiet. It was an awkward silence that I just wanted to break so badly. But my mind was blank.

I thought of all the things that we could ever talk about. But nothing was worth bringing up.

I wanted to ask him things, but I feared that I might waltz into a conversation that none of us wanted to be a part of. I knew too much about Luke.

I knew that he was 17, and went to a different school than mine, along with Michael and Ashton. I knew he smoked, which I wish I never knew. I knew that he avoids his parents a lot. I didn't know why though, but I didn't dare ask him. I knew that he didn't like reading books that were fictional, but more like books with meanings and sentimental values.

Luke was like no other I have met though, he was different.

He knew when to be serious and when to be immature. He knew when to make me laugh and when to just be there for me. I never wanted to ruin what we had now. I cared too much about him. Although we didn't share our secrets yet, I know that I can trust him.