3.6

"So... you work at a bookstore, although... you dislike reading?" Dad asked Luke the same question four times already.

"Yes, sir." Luke nodded, he hardly touched his plate of spaghetti, Dad assumed it was rude of him to not eat but Janet told him that it was okay for Luke to not eat a big meal during the day.

"That's ridiculous." Dad scoffed.

"Martin..." Janet sighed.

"Well it is." Dad confirmed his opinion. "Why do you work there if you hate books?"

"Because..." Luke took in a sharp breath, "my parents actually own the store." Luke said quickly.

It was now quiet, not even the forks scraped against the plates.

His parents owned the store?

But his parents are also having troubles?

"I got one of my friends a job there too." Luke continued.

Ashton. I thought.

"My mom sort of likes him more than me. As an employee... and son." He mumbled the last part.

Seriously?

I thought hard about it.

Why hasn't he told me that his parents owned The Old One?

Was he too embarrassed?

Did he think I'd judge him.

Luke didn't talk anymore.

I looked over to him, and he stared back at me. I felt his hand hold onto my own under the table, he laced our fingers together, but his lips stayed in a straight line.

Then a memory hit me. "Were you the kid that named the store?" I asked him quietly, but loud enough for Dad and Janet to hear us from across the table.

He gave me a small smile and nodded.

"What's the bookstore called?" Dad broke our gaze and we both averted our stare back to him.

"T-The Old One." Luke stuttered.

Dad nodded, but he wore a dour expression throughout the whole dinner. I looked back to Janet and she was almost smiling at Luke.

"I think its a nice name." Janet commented.

"I think its..." Dad, clearly, made a rude remark before drowning his words in his wine.

"Martin, be nice." Janet rebuked.

"Sorry." Dad growled. He scowled at Luke for the rest of the dinner.

-

"Your Dad hates me." Luke groaned through the phone.

Its now 12 pm and I should actually be in bed right now. But I couldn't so I called Luke, hoping he'd be awake too.

"No he doesn't." I argued.

"Did you hear what he said?"

"About what?" I asked, Dad said a lot of things tonight.

"He said that the name of the store was crap." Luke stated.

"Crap? Really?" I giggled into the phone.

"Its not funny." He groaned.

"I know, I know. But my Dad could've said something way worse than crap." I laughed.

"Whatever." Luke grumbled.

"Luke, don't be such a sourpuss." I teased.

"I'm not." He said groaned in irritation.