Chapter 2: Masquerade Ball [Edited]

JUNGKOOK

Standing in front of the mirror I fastened my volto mask firm enough to entirely conceal my face. The cape I adorned dribbled to the rhythm of the wind giving me a perspective of a super hero to the rescue. However all the aristocracies revolved around one and only one thing, the mission.

Our new associate, the Kim Mafia was throwing a party to declare their comeback and most of the underworld celebrities were sent a hearty invitation. It was a bit astounding for me to see a mail in my account as well but if I were to think like secretive criminals, where better to discuss a new drug association than behind the curtains of a high society ball?

This would have been a pretty satisfactory way to get close to them and exploit their trust but the fact that it was a masquerade costume party single handedly ruined my enthusiasm. What can I say, the linen cloak was almost melting me down.

Yet sucking the whining up, I locked the apartment and made my way to the cab I ordered to leave for the station. According to Mr. Namjoon's plan, I was supposed to be paired up with another junior officer for the field mission while the other team members stayed behind the scene, guiding us. On reaching the office building, I paid my fare and made my way inside only to find a new face dressed almost similar but in a white hooded cloak with a golden volto hanging down from his slender fingers. It didn't take a mastermind to decipher that he was my partner in crime, or in this case, against crime.

"Hey there, I'm Jeon Jungkook" I extended my hand towards a new friendship which was approved almost immediately. The guy stood up to reveal his skinny stature while a bright heart shaped smile irradiated his face.

"And I am Jung Hoseok. Bangayo (Nice to meet you)..."

~~~

With the entire act freshly embedded in our brains, we reached the Kim Mansion and if I must say, the ornamentation was beyond exquisite. A trail of beautiful amber sconces marked the extravagant entrance and the bungalow itself looked like a 21st century castle. There was no doubt the Kim's wanted to flaunt their power, after all, what else can be anticipated from a mafia gang who even breathes on black money.

Passing through the metal detector wasn't very difficult because our plan didn't need any weapon involvement what so ever. On entering through the massive automated doors my eyes straight away drifted to the dazzling chandelier that enlightened the evening while a smooth breeze escaping from the vents embraced me closely. A totally exaggerated get-together if you ask me.

"You try to blend in and I'll go search for our humble hosts. I'll inform you when I find them" with that Hoseok and I parted ways and as per his instructions, I strode into the crowd silently waiting for his lead.

The gigantic ball room served all the expectations one might have after seeing the house from outside. Huge portraits decorated the long beige walls while stone sculptures occupied the corners. The enormity of the place alone made me reflect on the fact that my whole apartment might comprise in this very single room and the black velvet couch seemed to mock my uncomfortable bed back at home. I was kind of bewildered by the beauty all across the place, especially the paintings. They brought in a colorful aura to the room but surprisingly the anonymous painter didn't bother to claim the master pieces as his. However, my trance was soon demolished by a huge round of applause reverberating through the room.

I turned around to notice a lady, dressed in black, descending down the grand staircase. An awe of appreciation spread across the room as she clicked her hills elegantly down the wooden steps. Her red columbina mask was much more revealing than mine and the soft smile her tainted lips held gave us a trailer of her undeniable beauty. Her long black hair made its way down to her swaying hips and the poise she constantly radiated made me wonder, what does she have to do in a treacherous crowd like this?

"You look stunning today, love" one of the guests welcomed the belle with his thick British accent making the latter smile bright like a sun. The contrast between her pale skin and her crimson lips was quite alluring and the way she harmoniously greeted other people made her stand out. She definitely didn't look like a criminal though.

However, being distracted by pretty members of the opposite sex was not a part of my mission so I averted my gaze and returned to awaiting Hoseok's lead. The night was still young and the melody booming from the orchestra created a mood to be hold. Food items that were mostly unfamiliar to me pervaded the fancy buffet and a queue of colorful mock-tails tempted me to devour them. Hoseok was taking his time so I decided to just let loose for a bit but who knew an expensive household such as this can have such poor electricity.

A blanket of murk enveloped the hall as each an every illumination in the whole premises abruptly fell asleep. Grunts and complaints broke through the silence disrupting the tranquility of the evening. I anyway took the opportunity to deepen my investigation but that was until I felt something extremely sharp piercing its way through my neck. The adrenaline perking up to its highest, I tried to defend my ass but whatever chemical whoever used on the small weapon was already in too deep and I slowly felt myself hitting the cold floor, the black night turning even darker...

___________________

To be continued...