Chapter 55: Hard Luck [Edited]

JUNGKOOK

Huge, elephant sized yawns escaped my mouth as I sat on my chair shuffling through loads of papers under the amber light of my lamp while the digital clock sitting on my desk read 02:58 am. A strong fatigue kept banging at the walls of my eyes to the point where red arteries started popping up here and there on the white surface. Yet I kept going because to my workaholic self, what I was doing was way more important than sleep can ever be.

It had been three days already since Sang-Ook gained consciousness and let's just say the old man was not at all cheerful about the cozy atmosphere at his new dwelling, that being in police custody. And neither did all the pampers offered by the cops appease his greedy ass. Complaints were all that echoed near his cell and even if the rest of the officers were utterly annoyed by his shenanigans, I, for one, was enjoying myself quite much. The look of distress I got from him every time we came face to face amused me and as sadistic as it sounds, I was having fun seeing him suffer. He sure deserved this one for ruining an entire family.

Just yesterday did Namjoon call me in the evening to inform me that the court had already declared a date for the upcoming trial. Upon hearing about Sang-Ook's recovery, they didn't want to delay matters any longer for the jury demanded to get this shit over with as soon as possible and honestly, I wanted the same. There would have been no greater pleasure than hearing the judges say that Sang-Ook was meant to stay.

However, for that to manifest, we still needed to prove him guilty at the court and the litigation date being as close as the day after tomorrow, we cops planned on having a meeting at the station today under the very supervision of our departmental chief, Kim Namjoon. We were called to discuss our activities that we're supposed to put forward during the lawsuit and that, my friend, brings us back to this very moment when I'm sitting at my desk, struggling to stay awake in order to organize all the physical evidences I had collected so far. Being the appointed leader of this mission under Namjoon and also the prime witness of the recent happenings with the Kim Mafia, I had this huge responsibility on my shoulders and even if my eyes were hollering from the lack of sleep I wasn't going to give up just yet.

This was my only chance to make my parents proud as well as save my friends, so no matter what hindrances came to pay me a visit right now or in near future, I wasn't going to back away.

Once done with organizing the sheets, I grabbed all of them, including the ones that Y/N had given me earlier, into a bunch before hitting them against the wooden desk a few times in order to get them into a neat pile. I then pushed them into a file that I'd be presenting to the Jury during the trial. Even if I had only two days to prepare, I ought to not mess up. There were a few papers that I had collected while searching the warehouse, aka the crime scene, and I was hoping I could use them to turn matters in our favor. And if I may say, there were some pretty shocking revelations that braced myself during the investigation. Oh, how fun would it be to see Sang-Ook's face when I use his own schemes against him.

Shortly after the papers were done I sluggishly turned off the lamp before slipping out of my chair and dropping down on my not so comfy bed that stood right beside my desk area. I was tired to infinity and beyond and now that I had finally let my heavy lids fall, it felt like I'd never be able to lift them up again. However, that thought changed real quick when a loud annoying noise started echoing through my whole room, making me almost have a heart attack. With the shit annoyed out of me I sat up on my bed and leaned forward to grab my phone from the desk only to see what all this fuss was about.