☽ Jaebum : Our Way

a symbol shows up on your wrist when you've made a certain type of contact with your soulmate.

"so what if we're not soulmates?"

I stared at my wrist with a heart symbol tattooed on it, then I looked across the boy who had the same symbol as mine. As much as I wanted to accept the fact that this boy is indeed my soulmate, I can't help but think about the boy whom I've actually had feelings for since I can even remember. From childhood best friends to going to trips abroad together to having month long sleepovers to being schoolmates, with his talent in music, good grades, chic attitude, and good looks, how could I not fall for him?

"Seems like you're thinking about something serious."

"Ah, well, yeah."

My soulmate, Mark, takes the empty seat beside me and gently grabs my wrist, looking at my symbol then looking at his. He just smiles, but it seemed like a sad smile.

The day we held hands and bowed before the audience after the school play ended was when we figured it all out. We got backstage and I took some cotton pads to remove my makeup and that's when I saw the heart on my wrist. The only two people I made contact with before that was Mark and another actress. I slowly walked up to him, seeing that he, too, had his eyes on the same heart symbol on his wrist.

I didn't know how to react. Prior to that, rumors have been going around that one of the popular boys in school, Mark Tuan, has a crush on me.

The fact that he was my soulmate broke my heart to pieces.

What exactly is a soulmate? Must I be forced to be with him when the time comes?

I have nothing against Mark. He's a nice guys whom I got to know after being classmates with him for two consecutive years. Very helpful with group projects and very protective over his friends.

But my heart belongs to someone else. Lim Jaebum.

Mark leaves and goes back to his seat as the next teacher enters. For the rest of the day, all I could think of was Jaebum.

...

The bell finally rang and outside, I found Jaebum leaning on the wall, scrolling through his phone. I slap his shoulder twice before saying a simple, "Let's go."

"Down?"

"What's down?"

"You. You're down, Kim Haneul."

"Down for what?"

"Stop acting dumb and face me," we were in the middle of the hallway when he grabs my shoulders and faces me to him, "tell me what's wrong."

"Nothing's wrong!"

"Suit yourself."

Jaebum wasn't one to express his feelings as much, but he was acting extra strange today. He was acting extra cold towards me.

He pulled his sleeves down every now and then, obviously uncomfortable, but why? Suddenly a thought popped in my head that stopped me from walking.

"Jaebum."

He turns around to look at me. I rush towards him. I grab his hand and pull down his sleeves.

A star symbol.

I was frozen. I knew we'd have different soulmates all this time, but why does seeing a different symbol on him hurt more than when I found out about mine?

He pulls back his hand and gulps. He already knows about me figuring out my soulmate, but why were we acting like this? Why were we so unhappy with what fate has come up with?

It hurt my heart way too much. I ran as fast as I could back home, leaving Jaebum guilty and confused, even though he had nothing to do with it.

The next day in school, I felt even more down as usual, after finding out that Jaebum had already found his soulmate. A part of me thought about letting him go and just going with what fate brought us to, but a bigger part of me wants to keep him, because he is the only person I've ever truly fallen for.

"Hey, Haneul."

I see Mark standing in front of me, taking his seat on the nearest chair.

"I just want to tell you that," he pauses for a moment before he looks deeply into my eyes, "I'm gonna be okay."

I was confused.

"I know we're soulmates and all but, you don't have to force yourself. You don't have to be with someone you don't love."

My heart ached. What he said might be true, but what would Mark do next, after losing his soulmate?

"So yes, I'll be okay," he smiles at me. It was a sad smile again, but it felt genuine and sincere.

I couldn't say a word. I was too taken aback.

"We're still friends, right?"

I nod. I wanted to thank him and tell him everything will be alright, but I didn't know where to begin. In the end I kept quiet, until the next bell rang.

...

As usual, Jaebum was outside my classroom. His arms were crossed and he looked at the ground. I approached him and poked his shoulder.

"Jaebum?"

He snapped out of his thoughts, "Let's go?"

The whole walk near our village was quiet, until he offered to talk a bit in the park, to which I agreed to.

I cleared my throat as I sat on the swing beside his, "I guess we both have our soulmates now, huh."

"Yes, but..."

"But?"

"Haneul," he looks at me with eyes that sparkled, the eyes I have always admired, "what if my soulmate isn't the one I'm looking for? I mean, what if I love someone else?"

I gulped, we were in the same situation after all.

"Haneul, I-" He stands up and walks in front of me, taking my hands into his.

"I really only had my eyes on you, but for some reason we aren't soulmates. I like you, Haneul."

I was shocked. My heart felt happy and angry at the same time. I was glad that the person I like, likes me back, but I was mad at the fact that fate had to mess everything up and give us different soulmates.

I couldn't control myself. I jumped up to hug him, and he hugged me back. It was something we did as friends but this time, it felt different.

"Jaebum, I'm having all these different emotions right now and I'm so overwhelmed but I need you to know that, I like you too."

He hugged me even tighter as I said those words, pulling back after a couple of seconds to look into my eyes, his arms still wrapped around my waist.

"Then let's go our way, I mean," his lips curve up into a smile, "so what if we're not soulmates?"