07

"Hey, can I ask why you like me?"

Jaebeom choked on his food, dropping his spoon into his bowl which caused soup to splatter around him.

Why did Jinyoung ask him that question?

Hurriedly reaching for the tissues, Jaebeom tried to clean up his mess while racking his brain for a suitable answer.

Jinyoung was still looking at him expectantly, his bottom lip between his teeth.

His gaze lingered on those lips before he finally coughed out an appropriate answer.

"You're my first love."

Embarrassment flooded him and Jaebeom ducked his head down, only to raise his head again to face Jinyoung bravely and check his response to Jaebeom's confession.

Jinyoung's face was red as he faced his food but there was, without a doubt, a grin on his face.

"I like you not just because of your looks," Jaebeom continued, gauging Jinyoung's reaction.

He was starting to enjoy watching Jinyoung's reaction to his words and actions and it made Jaebeom fall deeper for him.

Jinyoung's eyes shot up to meet his, questioning what Jaebeom had said.

"Yes, you're handsome. It's about time you realized how attractive you are Park Jinyoung."

Taking a quick breath, Jaebeom continued with his confession.

"Back then, I would just watch you out of curiosity... But one day I saw you talking with the stray cats behind the diner and I fell in love."

Jinyoung pulled at his earlobe gently— a nervous habit, as he nodded for Jaebeom to continue.

"I was a dumb kid that didn't know how to express my feelings the right way. But I've grown and so have you," Jaebeom said, his eyes never leaving Jinyoung.

"I don't need memories of a past you don't remember because I know now that I've found you again, we can just make new memories. Happy memories that'll last a lifetime." He finished grandly, his heart pounding in his chest.

His throat felt dry after finally blurting out everything he had wanted to say to Jinyoung since day one.

The warm feeling in his chest paired with the squirming of his stomach clearly didn't make a good couple.

"Jaebeom..." Jinyoung called out softly.

"Yeah?"

Jaebeom leaned forward in his seat eagerly, he swallowed nervously as he anticipated what Jinyoung was going to say next.

"Do you want to watch Frozen 2 with me?"

Jaebeom chuckled, "I-"

"Frozen 2? Isn't that a children's movie?"

Jaebeom flinched in his seat, whipping his head back to shoot a look of disappointment at the person who had interrupted his moment with his first love.

"Imo!" He whined, a pout naturally forming on his lips.

The old lady cackled and waved at him dismissively.

"I was just joking kiddo, relax." She mumbled, rolling her eyes.

"Haha... I guess it's a bit strange for two grown men like us to be watching Frozen 2." Jinyoung giggled, covering his mouth to hide his giggles.

Jaebeom mirrored Jinyoung's silly grin, "That's not going to stop me from watching it with you."

*

"Maybe this was a bad idea."

Jaebeom cringed as a child dashed past, almost knocking into him. He held onto Jinyoung tightly, afraid to lose him in the cinema that seemed to be populated with families and small children.

"You don't like kids?"

Jaebeom shook his head, turning to face Jinyoung with a sheepish grin.

"It's more of the other way around, kids cry when they see me." He explained before launching into a story of his past experience.

Jinyoung tilted his head, a smile broke out on his face as he quietly listened to Jaebeom's long-winded explanation, nodding along a few times.

"Sorry, that was boring." Jaebeom apologized as he finished.

"No, I quite liked it. Besides, saying all that made you more relaxed." He pointed out, patting Jaebeom's arm assuringly.

But maybe it was Jinyoung's strong presence and captivating smile that made him feel less frenzied among the monstrous children.

"Then let's go get our tickets before they sell out," Jaebeom stated, jutting his chin out in the direction of the ticketing counter.

Jinyoung hid his laugh behind his hand but followed Jaebeom as they made their way, weaving carefully past the throng of kids.

*

Both of them settled into their seats, a comfortable distance away from the excitable children as they sat at the very back of the theatre in the last row.

Jaebeom shifted nervously in his seat, feeling the warmth of Jinyoung right next to him in the dark space. His careless movements caused the popcorn bucket he held onto to spill over and onto his lap.

Luckily, Jinyoung was quick enough to prevent the precious snack from falling to the floor as he expertly scooped up the popcorn, the back of his hand making the slightest of brushes against Jaebeom.

Alarmed by how hot he felt, Jaebeom shakily mumbled the word 'toilet' and pushed the bucket into Jinyoung's hands before he ran out of the theatre, stumbling a little.

He barely noticed the look of confusion on Jinyoung's features as he pressed his cold fingers against his warm cheeks.

It was going to be a challenge for Jaebeom to last through the whole movie with Jinyoung next to him.

***

finally, a chapter.