Fourteen|| The Announcement

Later that night I laid in Hazel's bed with her, my arm around her as I spooned her loosely against me. I could tell that she was sad and she was scared, but she was covering it up and trying to be brave for me. For our pack.

She was worried for me, and when she turned around I could see it in her eyes. A single tear slowly made its course down her cheek, and I wiped it away with my thumb before it reached her chin.

"Talk to me," I implored her in a whisper. Oliver was with Daisy and Jack. They were sleeping in our bed, curled up against them.

"I'm afraid. What if you don't come back? I know you have to fight but..." she trailed off, not meeting my eyes. I was afraid I wouldn't come back either. I had people I needed to take care of, and she was at the top of my list.

But I knew that whoever was left behind in the wake of this war would take care of my sister. Even if she had to go live with Jemma, or if Willow adopted her- which both had assured me they would do if none of my close friends, Oliver or I made it out.

It had felt sickening to make my arrangements, but I had done it anyway. I'd even found a suitable candidate to take over if Jared or my friends didn't survive.

"It's my duty to fight with our people. Remember what Dad always said? If you send your people into a fight-"

"Be ready to fight with them," Hazel finished. "Never start a battle you won't personally finish."

"Exactly," I told her. "That is our way. We fight with honor, and if we have to, we die with it too. But I'll come back, sis. I did last time."

"Last time was different," Hazel said solemnly.

"Yeah. We have a bunch of badass people with superpowers on our side." I replied with a grin. This brought out a small, half hearted smile from her.

"Can I sleep with you guys tonight?" she asked. I nodded.

"Yeah. Come on."

I took her into my room and helped her get settled in our bed next to Daisy and Jack, who were already passed out. They were exhausted. Every Gifted had felt Ariel's distress before she'd passed out.

I heard the shower running and went into the bathroom. I could see Oliver standing under the jet stream, his head hanging. He stood still like a shower, and I knew just from looking at him that he was upset.

I stripped down and got into the shower with him. The hot water hit my body but I ignored it, wrapping my arms around him and laying my cheek on his back.

"I love you," I whispered. He turned around, his sad eyes meeting mine. They lit up for a moment at the sound of those three little words, and his hands slowly came up and cupped my face. He brought his face down to meet mine and kissed me.

The kiss started out slowly and sensual, but it quickly grew desperate and quick. "I love you. So much. And I'm afraid of losing you." he whispered against my cheek after he broke the kiss. A tear streamed down his cheek, and I stared up at him.

That was the man I loved. He was so strong, strong enough to hold me tight and make my fears go away. Strong enough to cry in front of me, and admit that he was afraid. My mate wasn't brave. He was courageous.

"I'm afraid too," I ran my hands up and down his arms comfortingly. "But I'm not going to let that stop me from fighting for our freedom. From protecting our family." I told him softly, and he nodded.

"I know. It's one of the things I love about you," he smiled sadly. "But for once, I wish you would curl up in a ball, run away and hide with me. Away from the danger, where I could keep you all safe."