Six|| I Don't Need You

I stood out on the field watching Tay as she sparred with another female partner. She was getting better.

They were fighting with staffs. The staffs and weapons would teach them control, and balance. They would be better fighters, and would be forced to become more agile.

Tay ducked under her partner’s swipe and used her staff to balance on the ground, lifting both legs and kicking her partner in the stomach. Then she crouched down and swept her partner’s legs out from underneath her.

Her partner landed on her back with a grunt, and Tay was on her in an instant, the staff aimed directly at her throat. The two were serious, panting, and both frozen still.

Suddenly Tay smiled brightly, and the two laughed breathlessly. Tay offered her partner her hand and her partner humbly took it, allowing Tay to help her up.

“Boss, why are you obsessing over the cadet again?” Jared approached me. I was watching from far away, head tilted slightly to the side.

“She’s interesting,” I replied.

“Where’s your mate?” Jared asked. I shrugged.

“Probably with the kids up in my pad.” 

“Have you even given them a tour?” he asked.

“They arrived here yesterday, Jared. I’m not gonna push them. You forget that they aren’t used to this.” I said, scolding him slightly. He rolled his eyes.

“Yeah yeah-” he stopped himself, inhaling deeply, and began frantically looking around.

“What is it?” I asked.

“Mate,” he said.

I looked around as well, and spotted Tay walking away from her partner mindlessly, sniffing constantly.

“Jared!” I said, pointing in Tay’s direction. His head whipped around, and I saw their gazes lock. 

“Mate,” he breathed, walking towards her quickly. She matched his pace and it wasn’t long before they met in the middle.

He cupped her face, staring down at her as if she was the most precious thing in the world. “It’s really you,” he whispered.

He had always feared that he’d never find his mate. I was so glad he’d found her now.

Tay let out a breathless laugh and he bent his head, their foreheads resting against each other. His hand entangled itself in her raven strands and he held her close, his other hand gripping her hip.

“What’s going on?” Oliver approached me from behind, standing so close to me. I turned to look up at him, smiling. His eyes were filled with surprise as I smiled at him. I felt my walls weaken as I watched Jared and Tay in each other’s embrace.

“Jared found his mate.” I said with a grin. Oliver glanced at the two before looking back at my large smile. Hope filled his eyes.

“Good for him,” he said with a small, hopeful smile.

“Oliver!” I looked up to see Daisy on the balcony of my pad, waving down at him. “It’s almost your turn! Hurry up!”

Oliver laughed, waving at her. “I’ll be right up!” he called, and Daisy went back inside.

“Hazel introduced them to the game of Twister,” Oliver said to me, shaking his head with exasperation. I let out a laugh.

“Good luck with that.” I said, grinning. He grinned back at me, and I didn’t miss the longing in his eyes.