Seven|| Complicated

"Hey, watch out!" Daisy cried, quickly grabbing her paints before Jack bumped into her table.

"Sorry," Jack apologized, holding the ball in the air where he'd caught it. We were sitting outside, and Jack and I were throwing around a football while Hazel and Daisy painted on a small foldable table I'd set up.

I didn't know where Oliver was. Kent would occasionally link me saying he was still in my gym, hashing it out with a punching bag.

I wasn't sure Kent was stable enough to go back out into the field yet, so I had him watching over Oliver to make sure he didn't wander off.

I threw the ball right at Jack.

Jack spun his hand and a small portal appeared in the air, right in the path of the ball's arc. It went through the portal and disappeared, appearing in another small portal just above Jack's hands. He grinned, throwing the ball back at me.

I pointed at him with the hand holding the ball. "That's cheating," I said, but I was amused at the kid's creative thinking.

Jack shrugged, smirking smugly. "It's not my fault you don't have powers." he said sassily, and I narrowed my eyes at him playfully.

"Oh, so you wanna play that way, huh?" I asked, and he nodded, trying not to smile, but failing. I ran after him, but he quickly created a portal and jumped through it headfirst. He appeared in a portal behind me, hitting the ground in a somersault.

He put his thumbs on the sides of his head and wiggled his hands at me, blowing raspberry. I rolled my eyes, and this time used Alpha speed. I was at his side in an instant, scooping him up and carrying him over my shoulder.

"Who's the boss now?" I challenged, swinging him around. He was laughing so hard he was having trouble breathing. He kept trying to tell me to put him down, but he could never finish his sentences. "You didn't even see me coming." I boasted.

"Alpha," I turned around to see Jared standing a few feet away, Renee at his side. "Tay is waiting in your office for you." I didn't miss the way his eyes lit up when he said her name.

I nodded, putting Jack down. "Hang out with Renee for a minute, okay guys? I'll be right back." I said. Jack nodded, and Renee walked over and picked up the football, tossing it from one hand to the next.

"It's been awhile since I've thrown one of these around," she said, tossing it to Jack with perfect precision. Jack caught it, grinning.

The slightly breeze stirred the air, blowing my wavy brown strands against my face. I was tempted to cut them again, or dye them again. I was debating on the color. A darker shade of brown seemed like the best option.

-------------

I opened the doors and found Tay sitting in my office, looking around anxiously. She was more properly dressed off the training mat. Ace stood in the corner against the wall, his arms crossed over his chest, expression stoic.

"Tay, I've heard a lot about you." I said, walking around her to sit in my chair opposite her. She seemed nervous, tapping a finger against her thigh at a fast pace.

"Thank you, Alpha?" she seemed unsure. I smiled at her.

"At ease, cadet. All good things. I've been interested in you ever since our little sparring moment a couple weeks ago. You seem to have a good relationship with your sparring partners." I said. Tay nodded.

"Mutual respect, ma'am. We know each other's limits." Tay replied respectfully.

"No need for the pleasantries, Tay, at least not in here. You are my Beta's mate." I told her, rising to my feet and standing behind my chair, one hand holding my wrist in front of me, standing casually. Tay nodded, looking down at the ground.