“Get back inside, Luke, someone could see you!” I yelped, already pushing him back towards the door. He dug his heels into the ground, letting out a laugh.

“Beth, no one but you can see me remember? Unless I let them.” He reminded me, grabbing my arms gently. I let go of my grasp on him, realization hitting me.

“Oh, right. I’m sorry.” I said, shaking my head. He tilted his head, his eyes analyzing me as his eyebrows furrowed.

“Are you okay? You seem a little out of it.” He commented, reaching out to brush a piece of my hair behind my ear.

I shook my head again, moving my feet forward to walk into my house. I had been standing outside practically talking to air, I didn’t need people to start thinking I’m going insane.

“I found out some news today, and I’m not really sure how to take it or what to really think of it.” I explained, walking into my house and waiting for Luke to come in before I closed the door.

“What did you find out?” Luke asked, leading us over to the couch. I sighed plopping face down and burying my face into the couch pillow. “That bad?” he asked, rubbing my back as he took in my reaction.

I huffed, lifting my head from the pillow and resting my chin on it.

“How close are you and Michael?” I decided to ask, easing my way into the news. Luke looked taken aback by the question, his face scrunching up.

“Um, I would say we’re pretty close. I would even go as far to say he’s like a brother to me.” he replied, his voice slow as if he was unsure as to why he was even answering this question.

“Do you think he would do anything to hurt you?” I asked, sitting up. Luke raised an eyebrow at me, his posture straightening.

“No, I don’t think he would. Why are you asking me this?” he finally asked. I scratched my head, trying to figure out how to tell him. I mean how exactly do you tell your boyfriend that you think his best friend might have had a hand in his disappearance?

“Well.” I started, clasping my hands together in front of me. “Today I found out some news about Michael and-”

“What news about Michael?” He interrupted me. “Did he tell you he likes you or something? Do you like him, too? I swear I’m going to punch that-” I got up interrupting Luke’s short rant as he stood from the couch as if the news was too much for him.

“You are so off topic right now, Luke, I promise you it has nothing to do with that.” I soothed him, letting out a small laugh. Luke’s cheeks quickly flushed, and he casted his gaze downwards.

“Oh.” he choked out. I shook my head at him.

“You don’t have to be insecure about me leaving you, you know? My only interest is for you, okay?” I assured him, running my hand softly against the base of his jaw.

He nodded, grabbing my hand in his. “Sorry. I just get scared of losing you sometimes. Especially now.” he said softly, and I wasn’t sure if he wanted me to hear him.

“Anyways, what I was saying about Michael.” I started again, squeezing his hand. He nodded his head, letting me know he was listening. “I was at work today, and while I was going through the files, I found one on Michael.”

Luke raised his eyebrows. “Michael has a file?” he asked in surprise.

I nodded my head. “At first I thought it was going to be something stupid, like stealing a Poptart from the local grocer or something, since the rest of the files are nonsense like that. But then I opened it to read what his crime was and… Luke, I don’t know what to think anymore.”

“What did the file say?” he pressed on.

“It said that he was caught stealing a vial labeled Atropa belladonna from the hospital. It’s the same serum that was injected into you to fake your death.” I told him, watching his expressions change as he processed the news. Confusion, anger, betrayal, sadness -- they all blurred in his eyes with every blink. It was like he couldn’t pick an emotion to stick on.

“It’s too big to be a coincidence. I want to talk to him about it, but I’m not sure how to approach him.” I continued, knowing that Luke probably didn’t know what to say at the moment.

He quickly shook his head, his eyes searching around.

“No, don’t go.” He said, putting his hand over mine. “We don’t know what he will do anymore, I don’t want to put you in any danger. Let me go talk to him.” He said, his voice low and seemingly void of emotion.

“Luke, you can’t. If he sees you, everything is just going to get more complicated. Let me go talk to him. He won’t do anything to me.” I assured him, even though even I was unsure about that, especially after our last encounter.

“Well if you go talk to him, at least let me come with you. I promise I won’t show myself.” He said, his voice lacking emotion. I tried to read Luke, but he was closing himself off. All I could tell was that he was really taken down by the news, but he was hindering any emotion from displaying on his features.

I nodded my head, accepting his request.

“Okay. Let’s go talk to Michael.” I said, ready to push myself off the couch. I looked up expecting to see Luke standing there, waiting for me to get up. Instead, my gaze flicked around the room searching for my suddenly missing boyfriend.

“Not again.” I whispered to myself, a fear creeping up inside of me that he vanished again. I ran to the door, swinging it open, and I looked immediately to my car hoping he was standing by it waiting for me.

Instead, I saw his figure waiting in the passenger seat of my car, already buckled in (as if he needed it), and waiting for me to hop in and go.

I shook my head at him, rolling my eyes.

“So impatient.”

A/N:

Aw snap it's about to go down

Vote and comment please!! Let's get this story back to being active lol