Chapter 137: Longing Chulian

Ying Zheng fell silent, he nodded his head afterwards. "Is it?" his voice is clear and tranquil, no emotions to discern.

"Well... I not- not in a way where I love him already." under the bright lamp's tender warm light, her face turned red. Yun Ren Xie remembered how Xiang Zihui teased her, how he gently hold her in his arms. But she knew he must be only playing around with her, Zhao Chulian died in his hands in the future but she doesnt know why she wants to keep him for her only. "But I think we werent destined for each other."

The sorrow is evident in her eyes and Ying Zheng caught a glimpse of it, he held her hand and squeezed it. The girl looked at him in confusion. "If he cant love you back. I can." he calmly answered, Yun Ren Xie was stunned momentarily, how will she feel if Xiang Zihui were to say these? Its been four days, where is he? Does he miss her? Maybe not, she is just his foster sister anyway.

"Dont joke around."

"Im not." he placed her hand on top of his chest, she can feel his heart is beating fast. "See? If you think I consider you as a substitute of Xue'er, Zhao Chulian, you arent. Both of you were the same, even your eyes mirrored her." his other hand cupped Zhao Chulian's delicate face and drew closer. "They were still as enchanting like when we first met."

Yun Ren Xie wanted to stop him but why is she still freezing in place. She closed her eyes, her eyeslashes trembled. "Please be my wife?" he asked, Ying Zheng didnt know why she closed her eyes but he found courage and spoke this words out.

In her mind, she chose the darkness to believe it was Xiang Zihui asking this instead. It worked well that she nearly said yes but she restrained herself. Will she really agree if Xiang Zihui were to ask?

Just as she is fighting her urge to stop liking Xiang Zihui, something soft and cold pressed on her lip. The heartbeat on his chest were felt by her hands, it was fast and unusual. The scent of wisteria invaded her nostrils, she was calmed in the instant but even her own heart is running wild. Yun Ren Xie didnt move as the man grazed over her lips, her mind went blank from what is happening.

Ying Zheng bit her lower lip and he is still unsatisfied but before he can even take everything to another level....

"Your Majesty! Concubine Mu is bleeding!" Eunuch Song called out from the moon gate, he doesnt dare to enter since Ying Zheng ordered him to do so.

Yun Ren Xie opened her eyes when Ying Zheng moved far from her, she is too shock of what happened. How come she let him kiss her?!

He heaved a sigh before casting a gentle look on the stupefied Zhao Chulian. "I'll be back." Ying Zheng can only say before leaving.

Four more days passed, Yun Ren Xie's hope of being saved by Xiang Zihui slowly doused off like an ember fading from the frightening cold. Even Ying Zheng who promised to come visit her never appeared, later on, servants gossipped around.

"Have you heard? His Majesty is inside Concubine Mu's courtyard for four days!"

"I did! Some said it related to Concubine Mu's unborn child."

"Hah, that fox still doesnt know how to back out."

"Im afraid Concubine Mu will use the child to pressure His Majesty."

Ying Zheng has a concubine who is expecting? No wonder he is busy. While Yun Ren Xie is taking a walk, she is dazed for some reason. Her head is lowered and gaze is fixed to the snow beneath, an image entered her thought. On a grassy plane where fireflies are like a jadeite lamp lighting the whole place, Yun Ren Xie can see herself. Her face is pale, blood dripping from the corner of her lips while her hand is holding a man's wrist.

Purple robes that have the embroideries of dark qilin is being worn by the man, his face is vague but Yun Ren Xie is sure he have a hair the same as the moon. The image made her walk aimlessly that her attention werent focused around her, she eventually bumped over a girl.

"Apology!" she immediately said and raised her head, Yun Ren Xie stiffened.

"Its alright." the other girl answered, she smiled at Yun Ren Xie. "You do look the same as Fang Ye Xue." Imperial Concubine Zhao stared at her with her amiable look.

"This... This girl is Zhao Chulian Your Highness." Yun Ren Xie is about to kneel when she is held by Imperial Concubine Zhao.

"No need for formalities. This One is Imperial Concubine Zhao but as I can see, you will become His Majesty's new empress. Are you perhaps part of our Zhao Family?"

"I...." she doesnt know how to answer, no one havent discovered her identity as the foster sister of a Chu State prince, not even Ying Zheng.

"Maybe from the side branch, I guess. Its fine if your reluctant to answer." Imperial Concubine Zhao is not bothered from the way she looked but inside, she is confused as to why Zhao Chulian wont admit. "Your name is beautiful, ah. First Love, if someone calls you Ah Lian or Xiao Lian, they might mean something."

Yun Ren Xie founds it funny too as she smiled, her first impression of Imperial Concubine Zhao back then isnt good. Still, she raised her guard on her. Before she can even speak, the maids beside them knelt on the cold pavement.

"Your Majesty." the servants spoke in time as they kept their head lowered. Yun Ren Xie and Imperial Concubine Zhao turned behind them, a man in a dark dragon robes stood patiently without any emotions, his unique purple iris were staring at Zhao Chulian.

She ducked her head down, Yun Ren Xie is still embarassed at what happened four days ago.

"Arise. Imperial Concubine Zhao, is Qin'er alright?" he turned to his other wife, its beet two year already since she have given birth to his first son which is shu-born (concubine born).

"Your Majesty, Qin'er is fine." she politely answered, a trace of guilt welled up in her heart. Zhao Chulian shouldnt feel jealous, right? She cant afford to create an enmity towards both of them.

"You had a son?" Yun Ren Xie cant believe what she had heard, when she died as Fang Ye Xue, Imperial Concubine Zhao and Ying Zheng are already cold towards each other. Just how?

This question made the concubine stiffen in fear, Ying Zheng threw an interested look at Zhao Chulian. "Had. He is two years old." he answered nonchalantly as Imperial Concubine Zhao glanced at him with pleading eyes thag he should stop mentioning about it.

"Z-Zhao Chulian, you shouldnt worry about it. Its just an accident." Imperial Concubine Zhao quickly added which is a white lie, Ying Zheng never touched her in their wedding night nor visited her residence. However, she is one of the concubine's Ying Zheng trusted, not as husband and wife but as an assistant and master. Her family's great influence in Qin State is what she willingly gave to Ying Zheng when they married, he drew a line for both of them and she voluntarily followed his rules while helping him get rid of his enemies.

Ying Zheng have tolerated her misdeeds in the imperial palace for five years but when she cant wait on him anymore, she took advantage of the drunken emperor a month before Fang Ye Xue's arrival in the border.