Meeting The Lady

Ch.40

Was it possible to wake up miserable before you even remembered what you were sad over in the first place? Apparently so. You woke up, your eyes opening as the sun was rising and immediately you wanted to go back to sleep. You didn't feel like doing today. There was no energy in you so your body just wasn't going to bother. All you wanted was for this Lady Eunchae business to be over with and for you to have your relationship with Hwayoung fixed. That's all you wanted, but you knew better than to sit around and do nothing. That's not how anything gets done. You'll have to bring Namjoon to face Lady Eunchae to reject the wedding and you'll have to work things out with Hwayoung somehow. Nothing is done magically like that.

You wish.

Except you knew it was better to not wish for such things. It was better to face yours fears, but it was more important to feel the want to face them. Wanting to face Lady Eunchae so you could fix things between Hwayoung and you meant your friendship with Hwayoung was important to you. That's because it was. It's crucial that you regain her trust. Even if you have to build everything from the ground up with her. You're willing to do all that and more because Hwayoung is your best friend. She's a piece of you. If she does truly leave with Seungwon then you don't want to be end on bad terms with her. The idea of living a life where looking back on your friendship with Hwayoung ends bitterly was not one you wanted.

You would rather sigh to yourself and wonder if she would ever come to visit. You would rather sit in the Queen's chamber wondering if she got your letter and knowing that she wouldn't be able to respond back to keep herself hidden. At least if Namjoon didn't release them of their titles. You would help them stay hidden if they needed help. You just wanted Hwayoung to be happy at this point. So what if you're selfish and want to have the King as your own? Namjoon and you are happy together. Seungwon and Hwayoung are happy together so you wish the same for them. To live long happy lives together. That's what fueled you with determination to get up for the day.

Huffing to yourself, you opened your eyes despite not wanting to wake up earlier. It's best to just get this day with Lady Eunchae over with. The faster that this is taken care of, the faster you get to talk to Hwayoung again. Her words from last night were still haunting you. She would be ready to talk about everything again once Namjoon finished ending marriage plans with Lady Eunchae. Though you were trying to convince yourself that you were ready to take on the world, you were nervous and pregnant. You had to lay low today and let the others do most of the protecting.

The other angels were getting up already and Namjoon was stirring. You sat up to get ready for the day, putting on your armor. It hung loosely on you as you placed your hand on your small bump. It wasn't noticeable, so you should be fine. No one will be suspicious. You'll be fine. Nodding to yourself, you buckled the armor and tightened it. Not as much as you used to since you needed it to be comfortable. That should look natural enough for them. It's not like Lady Eunchae or any of her servants knew who you were in the first place. Hopefully they'll never learn who you are.

"Are we ready to continue traveling today?" Solji asked everyone. The rest of angels were nodding even Hwayoung. She appeared solemn to you as always. She already had her mind focused on the task at hand, not giving you a single glance. You should probably do the same for today and put all your attention into this too. There is no time to slip up. You'll be able to speak to Hwayoung once this is all over with.

"I'm ready as I'll ever be." Namjoon stretched his arms above his head. He groaned, still half asleep when he said that. The King yawned which managed to make you smile.

"Alright, then let's go. We'll arrive there by early noon." Solji nodded her head. The rest of the angels bowed to Namjoon before getting in a line order. This was as fancy as all of you could get without the carriage and horses. You stood on the right of Namjoon while Hwayoung took his left. The King only tied the ribbon of his gat, completely unaware of the tension between you and Hwayoung. You sighed heavily, telling yourself to focus on the mission. You meant it this time. If things go wrong then you couldn't have your head in the clouds or be stuck on emotions that can wait. You'll fulfill your duty as guardian angel to the King as best as you can today. You also plan to make sure to perform your other duty as an expecting mother and keep the baby safe. You can't get reckless.