Friends At Last

Ch.18

It was a complete success! You have no idea what Namjoon did, but he gained a new friend overnight. Solji was speaking to Namjoon exactly like she used to. With respect but with hints of fondness and affection. There was finally a playful air between them that matched everyone else's new relationship with the King. You were so happy to see how things had changed when you woke up. Suddenly all the angels were removing layers of behavior training. Their natural selves were getting revealed to the King bit by bit. Namjoon could finally see the sides of the angels that you always witnessed. He understood why you loved them all so much now. It meant a lot that he took the time to get to know them as well and find a place for them in his heart as dangerous as it is.

You hope there is no negative to this. How could there be?

Seeing the King smile already had you feeling butterflies inside of you. They fluttered wildly every time you looked at him. It was almost alarming if you were being honest. One butterfly is pretty. It's delicate and lovely, letting you know that spring has come. A swarm of butterflies is a horrid sight. Watching them rush in panic and alerting others that nature is angry. They know something is wrong first. You didn't know how to take this feeling. There were moments when you enjoyed them and times when you wished they would stop. If you let your mind wander on what it could possibly mean, you became scared. What are you doing?

It was best to focus on Namjoon's accomplishments. He's doing so well for himself. He smiles more now that he has more friends. He doesn't only rely on you anymore, but you can tell he still favors you over most of the angels. Just that thought alone made your heart swell. Stop it. The territory your mind wanted to wander to wasn't safe. As scary as it was, it also infuriated you just a bit. Why can't you perform your job as an angel without this extra nonsense? You were doing your best to stay positive on this trip. For once, you were struggling to look on the bright side. These feelings kept consuming your mind and with Namjoon having all the angels as friends, there was nothing to busy yourself with.

Not to mention, Namjoon didn't really make the situation any better. He would always open the right window first and look out. He'd say he was looking at nature, but you've accidentally made eye contact with him more than once. It was messing you up. Even now, you could feel his gaze on you as you rode Happy. Less than three days until you all reach the mountains then from there you guys will be seeing Lady Eunchae soon. That's what you reminded yourself of constantly. That's what this entire mission was truly about. Lady Eunchae. Namjoon's future Queen. How could a fact torture you so much? You knew this from the beginning yet hearing it now made you lose energy.

Right now your only course of actions towards these surfacing feelings was to ignore them. It's not like you could do anything with them. Hopefully they fade out since they're based on nothing. They're too baffling to figure out. It would be easier if they disappeared completely instead of growing stronger. You were satisfied with that idea. You were willing to settle and forget these random feelings. Then there was Namjoon who sat in his carriage, staring at you not so secretly. He almost wanted you to catch him so he could hear your voice. To see your embarrassed expression to catch him looking at you.

He was suffering from the same confusion. He had grown an appreciation for you that was different from the rest of the angels. Slowly, he was beginning to understand what it all meant. He kept thinking back on all the ways Seungwon spoke about Hwayoung. How the two talked to one another and looked at each other. Namjoon put himself in Seungwon's shoes, imagining you as his lover. At first the thoughts were strange and made him feel odd. Despite that, they didn't feel wrong. Soon these curious images in his head were growing into desperate dreams. He wanted them to come true until he remembered every time he had a duty to perform for his nation.