67. Progress

Sixty-Seven.Eryn.

"Are you really here to save all of my people?" Waverly asked. She was a couple of feet ahead of me, glued to the wall and taking small steps forward.

I don't know who she was more afraid of, the vampires in this facility or me.

"I'll be honest, I only came here for my girlfriend and her sister. I'm not heartless, if we manage to find your people, we'll save them."

Waverly stopped and whirled around. She approached me and shoved her finger against my chest. "you going to save my kingdom! If it wasn't for me, you guys wouldn't have gotten in."

I chuckled, gently smacking her hand out of my face.

"We would've gotten in whether we had you or not. It was us that saved you from Mara. Remember what could've happened to you, little one?" I grinned, letting my fangs lengthen.

She made a squeak as she turned around and walked ahead of me.

"Are you really dating a mermaid? Do you want to bite her?" Waverly paused and glanced back at me. "No offense, but I don't see how it's possible." She turned back around and continued down the hall.

I smiled at the back of her head. "Sometimes I have trouble believing that I truly want to be with her or I want what's on the inside."

"You're going great lengths to find her now." Waverly replied.

People walked down the end of the hall.

"Watch my six and scream if someone comes," I grabbed her shoulders and turned her around. Keeping her tucked behind me.

Waverly nodded, but her hands shook as she shifted behind me.

I rolled my shoulders and hopped on the balls of my feet. Right now wasn't the time. I approached the group of people in lab coats.

A man stood a bit farther from the rest, talking to them about something being ready for transfer.

I straightened up and sucked in a breath. "Hello everyone!" I replied, waving to them. "Me and my uh, companion got lost in these halls, would you direct us back to the cafeteria?" I smiled brightly.

The scientists that were listening to the man speak looked a little shaken. A short woman kept her gaze to the ground.

The man cleared his throat and took a step forward as if he was doing his best to show he wasn't shaking in his boots. "The cafeteria is in this wing down to the left. It's the last double doors."

I nodded. "Lucinda told me there were more... delectable subjects in another place."

The short blonde woman gasped. She glanced up at me for a moment and turned her gaze back to the floor.

I grinned, "Sir, correct me if I'm wrong but you did mention a transfer?"

The man gulped and shook his head. "There's been no transfer of what you're looking for. It's a supply transfer."

"What kind of supply?" I asked, leaning in to see his ID, "Dr. Bram."

"With all due respect, sir," He narrowed his gaze, "Lucinda didn't—"

"It's miss," I chuckled, running my hand through my hair. "I'm a woman," I corrected.

Dr. Bram looked as if he choked on something. He shook his head. "My apologies, miss. But we were told we were not to talk to any of the visitors coming into the facility."

"You do know I could take out this whole group of yours in less than two seconds? Lucinda isn't here to protect you." I grabbed Dr. Bram's collar. "Now let's try this again."