37. Vulnerability

SR: H E R B - Save Me

Thirty Seven.

Eryn.

"We got to get them out of there!" I seethed, stalking closely to Hades.

Hades stopped and whirled around, her luminous eyes settling over me with a disgusted expression.

"You didn't say that when Lucinda was with Neri. Actually, you joined her!"

"Really? We're getting raided and you want to bring that up now?" I shook my head, turning back on the estate. Lance, Marina, and Ally were trapped inside, and Hades wanted to choose this moment to bring this up.

A flicker of something I couldn't quite place was in her gaze, gone ask quickly as it appeared. Soundlessly, she walked further into the woods, around the marsh that surrounded the lake. I followed behind silently, not wanting anger Hades further. She was fuming, with her shoulder tensed and her body moving robotically.

Hades checked out. Yes, she was walking, but she was someplace else in her head. I had no idea where she was, but no doubt it was about Nerissa. I thrust a hand through my hair. I didn't know Neri that well, only when she was in the club. She was there so often, and I never could figure out why. I was too blood drunk to notice much around that time anyway.

It wasn't until Luce brought her to my flat.

It was my undoing, that much I knew, feeding on Nerissa without bothering to know who she was. Vampire custom was you could never feed on someone else's thrall.

Marina's being on her way to becoming a thrall, well I couldn't tell Marina that. She wouldn't understand, she'd think that she was forced. I could feel her presence in the building, a warm tingling sensation on the nape of my neck. Hopefully, it would fade in a couple of days.

If it didn't, I must tell her.

"Look!" Hades pointed at something beyond the trees, a slight glimmer amongst and otherwise, dark forest.

"That's the sniper?" I muttered, "bloody idiot."

"Go kill him," Hades replied, "I'll go join up on Lance. I'm sure they'll need my help."

I rolled my eyes. Always feeling the need to flaunt her power over me.

"I'll meet up with you on the rendezvous point. The rest of the house is there."

"Find Chris," Hades said, and with that, she was gone, heading back to the estate.

I slid against the trees, zipping past them as if I was the wind itself. Using guns... they had to be human. It couldn't be Luce; she wasn't dumb enough to send humans hurtling our way. It would drag too much attention to herself. Or would she? Lucinda could be so unpredictable as of late. I didn't know what was into her, but she needed to pass onto the next life.

She overstayed her welcome here.

I found purchase on a hanging branch above the sniper. He was laying down, peering into the scope, facing the estate. I narrowed my eyes, looking at the outfit he was wearing. He wore dark green to blend in with the shrubbery, but there was something odd with the way it glimmered. The armour covered his neck, stopping just at his jawline.

I raised a brow. He was protecting his neck?

I dropped down from the tree and bashed his head against the scope, the scope viciously impaling his eye. He screamed, the shrill sound of it shaking the trees and scaring off any animals in the vicinity.