21. tell me you still care

SR: Girl in Red – we fell in love in October

Twenty-One.

Marina.

"Marina, this is something to enjoy. I want to keep doing this rather than hiding in the sea all the time. The ocean is our home," The low baritone tone of my father rumbled softly. He placed his hand on my shoulder lovingly, casting a glance of concern before he looked toward the ocean.

My father was tall, taller than most people I've seen. I didn't inherit his dirty blond wild coarse curls, but I did get his blue eyes. His were darker than mine, mirroring the ocean during a hurricane. He typically didn't go above the surface because of all his kingly duties, but since my return, he's been hovering more and spending 'quality time'.

Rumors have been spreading throughout the kingdom that I was a vampire sympathizer. I never noticed how my own people I grew up with could turn on me so quickly.

The king had tried to put a stop to those rumors, claiming that I had been kidnapped by vampires. It angered me to hear everyone's murmurs in my head. I was attached to a hive mind, none of my thoughts could be heard over the voices of everyone else.

I looked out at the water, watching as the moon followed us. The crisp saltiness of the ocean tickled my nose, and it made me think of the beach. Perhaps if I was fast enough, I could make it to shore.

I was glad at least that my father granted me my terrestrial legs back. I pleaded with him to go on his nightly boat rides again and with some hard convincing he let me—with him accompanying me.

"I'm heading down," I muttered, turning away and heading below deck.

"Marina!" Father called, unable to follow me since he was steering the boat.

I grew up in this boat, going on voyages with my parents to islands that were passed down to us through the royals. Neri would play I Spy with me on the way there, which was nearly impossible when we were in the middle of the sea. It was one of my favorite past times though, and I wished I relished them more before...

"I have another ISpy object!" I shouted, pointing at a figure far out onto the horizon. I leaned over the gate of the boat, reaching out for a glow in the distance.

Nerissa laughed, taking my hand and pulling me back onto the deck. "You're not supposed to tell me what you're spying on!"

I gave her a confused expression, not understanding the point of the game. I thought you were supposed to announce what you were spying on so the other person could see it. "I don't get it."

Neri sat down cross-legged and pulled me onto her lap. "It's okay. Let's do something else while we wait for mom and dad to return."

I nodded, studying her face. "What should we do?"

"Close your eyes," she murmured, closing her cerulean eyes.

I closed mine, furrowing my brows. "Now what?"

"Listen to the sound of the ocean, the life forms under us. We are on top of our world right now," she whispered in my ear, "Don't you feel powerful?"

I settled my back on her and listened carefully to what she was talking about. All I heard was the sound of small waves hitting against the boat.

I squeezed my eyes shut, thinking that it would make me hear better. I didn't hear anything. There was nothing around us.

"Neri... I don't hear it."