38. Weathered Beyond Repair

SR: Ben Platt - Grow As We Go

Thirty Eight.

Eryn.

Everything was going well. It was fine, nothing wrong at all. I told myself that every day because well, it was the truth. I'd gone back to working the bar at night, it slowly becoming a vampire nexus. Thralls were walking around as servers and cage dancers. It was a nice setup. Marina was slowly working on her bartending.

By day, she'd go to the Consul compound for her training while I slept. I disagreed with it at first, but Chris approved it anyway. I didn't like sleeping all day while she was over there, but Lance reasoned that it was the safest place she could be. They were living over there while scouts were sent out in search of any leads that could bring us to Lucinda. I wasn't stupid, I noticed they were keeping me as far away from all this as can be. Knowing, Lance and Chris, they probably figured I couldn't handle this. Hades was with them, I wasn't needed. I could understand that...

I didn't hate it as much as I thought I would. However, things did suffer for it. Marina was so busy during the day and night that she'd fall asleep at the hours I'd begin to wake up. And every morning when I woke up, I was thirsty... and horny right after.

The first couple of nights moving back into the loft I tried waking her up in a pleasant way. And every time she told me she was too tired. I gave up after a week, I was wasting my time. So, I insisted that she didn't have to work at the nightclub every night. But she reasoned she wanted to earn money and have a typical job. It felt like she was trying to distance herself from me as much as possible. I wasn't quite sure, she didn't seem mad at me.

Like I said, everything was fine.

I folded my arms and leaned against the far wall of the bar, facing Marina as she was bartending. She was doing a pretty good job now—in the beginning, she shattered a lot of expensive bottles. It amused me to see how focused she was as she mixed a canon. Many customers were fans of the chocolatey goodness. Replaced the chocolate with blood and it was pretty darn good.

I lightly ran my fingernails over my itchy ink. My new tattoos were peeling again. Getting tattoos as a vampire was painful. I successfully managed to infuse demon blood within so I didn't have to deal with it healing away. The rich obsidian color of the ichor was fascinating enough the first time and even better the second time.

Ally's presence drifted closer to the nightclub and I darted my eyes toward the entrance. She walked with a stoic expression on her face. Next to her was Sagan, a permanent scowl on her face. She came in two nights ago, but I hadn't seen her yet. Her blonde hair was cut in a bob with brighter ashy highlights. She wore all black leather as usual and thigh-high boots. She immediately made eye contact with me.

I stalked forward, pushing past dancers and vampires alike.

"Enjoy your time off?" I snarled, stopping right in front of her.

Sagan narrowed her eyes.

"It was better than being here, pining after you."

I folded my arms. I knew why Sagan left. It was because of me, of my reaction to her truth. She left her heart wide open and I didn't say a word. It was my fault, this much was true, but to leave us? That was a ridiculous outburst.

"Sagan, you must know I don't love you that way. You're like my sister, nothing less, nothing more."

She nodded, a scowl set in her features.

"I know. I can respect that. Although, when your mermaid grows old and dies, I'll be here. Until then, enjoy her youth."

I frowned, running a hand through my hair. She was right, Marina wouldn't live forever. That wasn't my concern right now. I was enjoying what I was having with her at this moment. Sagan should I didn't want to think about that now.