20. the more i think about you, the worse i am

SR: Angus & Julia Stone - Santa Monica Dream // Bring Me the Horizon - Drown

Twenty.

Eryn.

Sagan stepped in front of me, sliding her hands in her jean pockets. A somber expression weighed on her face as she looked at the hotel.

"She was here, do you smell her?"

I nodded, and stretched my arms over my head. "Are you ready?"

She smirked and walked ahead of me, swaying her hips with purpose. "I've been waiting for this."

Following Luce through the East Coast wasn't how I wanted to spend my time, but it's what happens when I pick up Chris's Consul assignments. Taking care of Lance and being Seattle's new quaestor was already enough on his plate so I didn't mind going after his scion for him. He thought it was good for me to find purpose and all that jazz.

As much as I made fun of his hippie thinking, Chris was right, it helped keep the anger at bay if I stayed away from Seattle. It was a job, and it kept me busy in all the right ways.

Traveling always gave me a sense of bliss. I started to enjoy the little things again, which was something vampires didn't say often.

The Consul was eager to have a vampire of my age on their side. Ever since their old members were replaced, the new ones have been more inclusive, offering an open seat to one of each supernatural race. They called us Earth-dwelling demons.

Not much changed with the Consul, it was still ruled by demons, and it wouldn't be ruled by them for long. Demons were creatures that were always everchanging, no one could be in charge of them for long.

Due to their young Consul, they sought to have 'Earth dwelling demons' on their side. The demon that helped make it happen was around here. Rumors erupted that she was still in New York. We were sent out to look for Lucinda, but I was sure that demon was near.

The scent that I was picking up, smelled like a succubus. However, I knew there was something much more off about it.

I glanced at Sagan wondering if she was picking up on it too. "Do you smell that other scent?" I asked as we walked into the hotel lobby.

She nodded, "it's definitely a demon, do you think she saw Lucinda?"

I shrugged, "let's just look around."

Even if it was supposed to be Chris that was here, Sagan seemed like she was having a good time. There was a bounce in her step and vitality to her I haven't seen in longer than I wanted to admit. She was my long-time friend and a ripple of regret went through me that I ignored her for so long. I wasn't the touchy-feely type, but it was wrong I kept Sagan at arm's lengths for so long.

With Lance staying at home, his tongue had sharpened, perhaps congested from everyone always on top of him. I get that they wanted to help him, but none of us could really understand what he was going through. He almost died. That didn't happen often to vampires of his age and yet it did. He lost a limb and if he refused to see anyone for three weeks once first awoke, then that was his choice.

Over time, he let people in his room. Everyone except Chris.

Lance still didn't want to see him.

I didn't understand what was going on with that, but Chris still hasn't left the house. They did exchange blood vows; they were connected for life. Chris didn't get into what happened that night on the beach too much, but he tried describing the feeling to me.