35. Distractions can't save us

SR: Milkz - namikaze

Thirty-Five.

Eryn.

I stumbled into the bathroom, breathing heavily through my mouth. The edges of my vision reddened and my throat felt on fire. I whirled around, slamming the door shut, eager to put some distance between us.

Hands trembling, I pulled the cap off the syringe and stuck the needle in my outer bicep.

A warm sensation spread throughout my body as the silver made its way into my system. An icy mist flowed and ebbed inside me, cooling the fire within. The feeling was euphoric, sending rivulets of tears down my cheeks.

The room swirled and I threw my head back against the wall, closing my eyes and relishing the airy feeling coming around me.

I slid to the ground, a smile making its way to my face instantly.

"Whoa," I murmured, letting myself slip into the numb pocket euphoria.

I wiped my wet cheeks with the back of my hand. Scrambling to my feet, I stared at myself in the mirror. I smiled. It was nice that mirrors weren't made with silver anymore. I wouldn't be able to see my reflection. I sighed deeply as my mind wandered to the new guest in the estate.

Hades was here.

I ran a hand through my hair. She brought up all these ugly fucking feelings inside me. She threw me back into my own memories of the past, of when I was forced to be around her per Sybil's last dying request.

I would never consider that woman my sire, she was incapable of feeling, incapable of understanding, and demented in her own head. Hades lived too long for her to be assimilated into the society we were in. She was impulsive and... out there.

Why was she here?

She was abundantly clear that she never wanted to see me ever again. Honestly, she had every right not to see me again. I crossed a line that no vampire should. Hades probably had the same goal as us all.

Lucinda.

I sighed, knowing that there was so much more I had to tell Marina. I knew I had to, but why couldn't I cling to the ignorant bliss just for a little while longer?

Because everything would soon unravel before me.

With Hades being here, that was it, everything that I so desperately kept quiet about will come out. Was that even my place to tell? Hades wasn't the type to keep secrets. She's going to put everything on the table, but I would need time to explain myself.

I opened the door, colliding with a small figure in front of me. My eyes widened at the pink hair girl in front of me.

"Marina," I breathed, holding her shoulders. "I'm sorry I left like that I—"

She gave me a weird expression.

"Are you okay?"

I nodded, looking towards the open door. "I have to uh... tell you something."

Marina lifted her brow. I motioned for her to take a seat on my desk chair.

"What is it?"

I stood in front of her and took a deep breath.

"I know more about Nerissa than I've been saying. It isn't fair for me to hide things from you, but I just didn't think it was my story to tell."

"Why?" Her eyes narrowed at me, arched brows pulled low, "why are you telling me this now?"