22. not what i wanted

SR: Bring Me the Horizon - why you gotta kick me when i'm down? // Dream State - Hand in Hand

Twenty-Two.

Eryn.

The sound of an echoed dripping made its way into my ear. It was a consistent sound and as my consciousness gradually turned, the sound grew louder.

Water bubbled up from my throat, forcing my throat to convulse. Involuntarily, I retched, coughing up salt water. My lungs and esophagus burned, worsening with every breath I took. Drowning over and over again as a vampire was a fate I didn't ask of anyone, sure as Hell not me.

My brows furrowed and I groaned as the back of my skull throbbed. I touched the back of my head and brushed my fingers over a healing cut. The cut mended itself back together within seconds, but the concussion was another matter.

Where am I?

Slowly, I took in my surroundings. My eyes adjusted to see past the impenetrable darkness.

I dragged myself to my feet, stumbling slightly. Looking down, I noticed I was barefoot. Quite unusual. What type of person takes off my converse?

I narrowed my eyes at my feet, my mind working in five different ways of how to kill someone with them.

Okay, maybe they had a point.

Small loose stones littered the floor, the reason as to why I tripped. I gazed up at the walls of the cave which were jagged and uneven, arranged in such a way that made it seem man-made.

Carvings were etched into the wall, drawing me towards it. I ran my fingers along the marks, amazed that these things were here. The carvings glowed faintly as if they were reacting to my energy a bit.

Was this the work of merfolk? I studied the markings for a little bit more, wishing I could understand what was being said. Nothing registered in my head, but how could it react to me

The marks ended, the cave dipping off into two tunnels. Both ways were swathed in never-ending darkness. I supposed it didn't matter which way I went. One of them had to be the exit.

I extended my hearing and listened to a consistent sound of dripping water. It came from the left, so I suppose it had to be the way out.

I took a shaky breath, soothing the sharp feeling in my stomach that didn't seem to stop growing. I loathed being in small spaces.

Lance and Chris' little dungeon cells weren't the best either. If there was no exit, then I could help but think of any room like a box. Which was exactly what I was feeling right now. The sharp feeling was that moment right before the roller coaster dropped, but the coaster would never drop. Instead, it would stay at its peak, the anticipation of it all sending a never-ending sense of dread.

I leaned against the nearest wall and stared at the ground, trying to focus on one thing and one thing only. Once I got myself somewhat together—enough to walk deeper into the cave—my breathing evened out.

I walked for what seemed like a longer time than I expected. The sound of water rushing grew louder. I picked up my walking speed as I saw a blue illuminated light in the distance.

This is it.

Emerging from the darkness, I let out a relieved breath. The cave opened up to a massive chamber, one that left me in awe with the rainbow of color reflecting from the water. A circular orb of light reflected from the water, letting out the tiniest bit of hope in my chest. I wasn't completely underwater.