Chapter 11

042020

"I have worked in the industry directly at a few agencies, so I know exactly what it's like in the real world," our instructor continued, "This class will undoubtedly prepare you for it. Now, I see you all have your practice attire. The locker rooms are down the hall and through that door." He pointed to a door on the opposite end of the room we'd entered. "We will be starting with some practices today, so you can all go get dressed. The girls and boys rooms are separated. I'm sure you'll find them."

The students stood and I followed through the door and down a short amount of hallways. Conversations started again and started to wish I had someone to talk to.

The locker room was a small room with rows of lockers about half the size of our normal ones. As soon as we entered, girls started changing in the open and shoving their clothes into a random, unlocked locker, which made me uncomfortable. I had never undressed in front of anyone else, even at the orphanage and especially not at the boy's dorms, so I was suddenly very self-conscious.

I noticed that at one end of the room, there were three bathroom stalls, so I went over to one and locked myself in, hoping to change quickly, as to not let anyone question why I wasn't changing like the others. I had a pair of black leggings and a cropped, rose-colored T-shirt that would help keep me from getting too hot if we were going to work out enough to break a sweat.

As soon as I exited, I was scanning the room to find a locker I could put my school uniform and clothes into without having to worry about the possibility of it being visible enough for someone to want to steal it, when something hard and plastic-like smacked the side of my head. I watched as a mini deodorant fell to the floor before looking up confused. A chorus of laughter rang out from one side of the room, and I noticed a group of girls doubled over, looking at the discarded deodorant at my feet. One of the girls wasn't laughing, though. She ran over and grabbed it before looking at me.

"Oh, fudge, I'm so sorry, we didn't mean- I mean, we kinda got a little crazy there." She had long black hair that fell past her shoulders, but was perfectly straight and shiny. Her eyes were beautiful, brown, and glowing. Her soft, pale lips were slightly parted, and her face structure was strong.

I realized I'd been staring at her the whole time she'd been talking to me. Not wanting to be rude, I tried to give her a smile. "It's alright, really."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah," I nodded. "No problem."

"I'm really sorry." She turned around and headed back to her friends with her head hung low. I watched as she gave one of them a punch before whisper-shouting, "Darn, you guys. She's new here and I thought I'd actually get to make a new friend."

Her friend's laughter faded. "New friends? You mean you're sick of us?"

"No, no," she shook her head. "I mean, I just-"

Before I could even wonder how she knew I was new here, a knock on the locker room door came before we heard Mr. Hyebin's voice call, "One minute left, I need you back out here so we can start!"

I averted my eyes from the group of girls and decided to shove my uniform into the closest open locker that wasn't locked. With that, I headed out and back into the dance room. Mr. Hyebin walked us through daily exercise we'd be doing for the rest of the year, showing us the proper form and walking us through the process. They were mostly things like push-ups, line stretching, and such. I was happy to know a lot of the exercises were ones the boys learned and had taught me from Bighit's training course. After that, he gave us a short lesson with a song that taught us about fifteen common dance moves, and the lesson was over.