Chapter 3

021020

“Oh,” I said before going over it again. “They want to- to…”

“I’m sorry, Sujin, I shouldn’t have-”

“No.” I frowned. “It’s okay.” 

I laid back in my chair and thought for a moment. Namjoon watched me carefully, seemingly waiting for a more telling reaction. “Namjoon, I’m honestly not that surprised. I’m telling you, it only pounded me about as much as two hate comments do in a row.”

“But Sujin,” Namjoon said carefully, “Hate comments are hate. Unless you care about what they’re saying, it doesn’t usually affect you physically. But… death threats?”

“It’s about the same amount of stabs as a few hate comments, Namjoon.”

“But they have to be taken more seriously. They’re not threatening to call you mean names, they’re threatening to end your life.”

“They didn’t say they’re going to, they said they want to,” I reasoned.

“Kid, the company does not take death threats lightly. When your life is put into danger, it’s a whole different story.”

“I don’t want to cause you guys more pain! I’ve done enough, can’t I just say it’s okay and have you take that?”

“No, because it’s not okay!”

“I’m not afraid.”

“That’s what my friend in the industry said, until he had a bullet in his head. We’re not going to let that happen.”

I sighed, “Namjoon! Please, I-I really don’t want to cause you this pain!”

“Well if you’re not hurt emotionally, then that takes away half the pain for me. I don’t want you to get hurt…”

“I’m not, Namjoon. I’m not.” I looked into his pleading eyes. 

“Promise me, kid, you’re okay?”

“I am okay.”

“Promise me, you’ll tell me if you’re not okay?”

“I will, but Namjoon, this is life, this is idol life. And I don’t add anything to ARMY’s lives, I just ruin it, I guess. And yes, not a day goes by that I don’t feel bad about that. But, I will accept that because I know it. And I don’t blame them for anything. It’d be wrong of me not to expect them to be jealous or anything.” Namjoon looked at his lap and didn’t say anything. “Let the company do what they do. Idol death threats aren’t uncommon. I trust you guys. And I have to be strong. I learned that earlier this year, I’m not going to be weak anymore. I’m not going to cause you pain anymore.”

Namjoon nodded and then looked at me. “Kid, what I’m asking is that maybe, I don’t know, you skip on the social media for a little until it becomes a safer place for you?”

I sighed, “It’s never going to be safe, Namjoon.”

“I know, I know.” 

“I don’t even use it that much.”

“But-”

“I still promise.” I put up my pinky with a small giggle. He took his and linked it with mine, returning the smile.

“You’re a wonderful kid, you know that?”

I laughed, “I try.”

He gave me a pat on the shoulder. “I haven’t told the others about this, and they either have seen it themselves or haven’t seen it at all. I’m not sure, but after I talk about it some more to manager and explain what you said, I’ll see if they need to know.”