Chapter 27: Jake

I miss One Direction :(

[JAKE]

3 months ago

I didn't realize that as the days went on after the breakup, that the pain I felt would get worse.

I tried to convince myself that I didn't need her. I should be angry at her for leaving me the way she did, or at least hate her for kissing Ian in front of me. She knew how I felt about the time she'd kissed him before.

But no matter what I told myself, I found myself missing her more everyday.

It made me hate myself more and more. There had to be something wrong with me or else she would've stayed. She wouldn't have wanted to leave if I had been able to satisfy her and been a good boyfriend.

God, what was wrong with me?

Being surrounded by couples didn't make it any easier. Ian and Amy had finally started dating and they were all over each other all the fucking time. I could be walking from the kitchen to my room and see them on the verge of fucking in the hallway or on the kitchen counter.

Any other time, I would've been happy for them. But right now, it made me sick.

Alex and Ivy had seemed to be on the rocks for about a week after she left, although I still have absolutely no idea why. But they were back to being their lovey dovey selves again, which, of course, made me the fifth wheel.

After two weeks of living like this, I decided that I had had enough.

"I'm going back to my penthouse today," I stated to everyone during breakfast.

They all looked up at me in confusion. I'd interrupted Ian and Amy's little eye fucking match and Alex and Ivy's game of footsie under the table.

"What? We always stay here until the end of summer," Ivy said, sounding sad.

Boohoo.

"I know. But I wanna go back. Get ready for class." Get away from the place that reminds me so much of her.

"Oh, come on, Jake. We still have a week left. Don't tell me you wanna ruin all the fun," Alex teased.

"What fun, Alex? Your fun? Ian's fun? Ivy's fun? Or maybe Amy's fun?" My hand smacked down on the table, making him flinch. "You guys are all having fun and you should be! I don't want to stop you. But I don't want to be here. I'm intruding on you guys and I don't want you to feel obligated to include me in your date nights."

"You know it's not like that," Amy whispered.

"It's exactly like that. But don't worry about me. I'll see you guys on the weekends between classes. We'll be fine," I assured them.

"Jake—" Ivy began.

"Let him go," Ian interrupted. He gave me a crooked smile. "There's no harm in going home early."

I forced a smile back. In the two weeks since the incident, I still hadn't been able to look at Ian the same way. Even though I knew that he never meant for it to happen, my stupid, insecure self couldn't help but replay that scene over and over again in my head.

Maybe that's why she left.

I gave them all a tight smile before retreating to my room to pack for my move back to my house.

***

In the weeks that followed, I completely threw myself into my schoolwork and into improving the company. I never let my mind wander, and made sure to tire myself out everyday, both physically and mentally to keep from thinking about her.