Chapter 22: Victoria

[VICTORIA]

Recap: Jake told Victoria that he loved her and they had sex. They woke up and Jake talked to administrators at Caltech to get them to take Victoria. Victoria goes to eat breakfast where Ava confronts her and insults her which causes Victoria to force herself to throw up.

After throwing up everything I had just ate and some bile, I rinsed out my mouth and splashed some water on my face. My eyes were red from crying and my throat was sore from the strain I had just put myself through.

Hopefully, no one would notice.

As I walked downstairs, I heard voices coming from the kitchen. Jake's voice was deep and stern, making it easy for me to distinguish.

I walked in to see Ava with her arms around Jake, his back to me.

"Oh God, I missed you so much!" She sighed.

"I can't believe I haven't seen you in so long!" Jake tightened his arms around her. A moment later, he pulled back, but I couldn't see the expression on his face.

However, Ava could see mine.

She smirked and pressed her lips to his neck. My heart twisted.

Jake either didn't feel it or he liked it because he didn't pull away. I swallowed hard, but set my jaw so she wouldn't see how it affected me.

Jake pulled away and stepped back. "Did you stay here last night?"

Ava looked up at him through at him through her lashes. "Yeah. I looked for you yesterday but I couldn't seem to find you."

Yeah, because he was sleeping with me.

Jake rubbed the back of his neck. "Oh. I was with Victoria last night."

Ava frowned. "Do you actually love her? Or are you just being nice? I know your father was very adamant about having you committed to a single woman. So I get it if he's trying to force you to marry her."

"Of course I love her! Although I did my best to get over her the last couple of years, nothing worked. I'm sorry for hurting you in any way, but I really did like you. But," Jake cleared his throat. "I love her. I always have and I always will."

I couldn't stop the smile from spreading on my face.

Ava nodded. "It hurt when we first broke up. But I'm over it now. We were on good terms. I'd never do anything to hurt you."

I let out a little cough to make my presence known. Jake whirled around and grinned the moment his gaze fell on me.

"Hey babe. We were just talking about you," He strode over to me and grabbed my hand before dragging me over to Ava.

"Ava, this is my fiancée, Victoria. Victoria, this is Ava," Jake introduced.

Ava smiled at me. "You're Jake's fiancée? You're so lucky! I mean, most people of Jake's class stick together. I would've never thought that you would ever be getting married to one of us."

The jab was definitely there, and she was challenging me to make a scene. To make me look like the bad guy if I said anything rude.

Not today, bitch.

I let a small smirk slip onto my face.