Chapter 25: Victoria

[VICTORIA]

Earlier that day

"Mmm Jake," I laughed as he kissed my neck. He hummed in response before continuing. "You have to get back to work!"

He raised his face to look down at me, a pout on his lips. "I don't want to. I want to stay right here," he punctuated his words with a kiss to my lips.

I let out another laugh before pushing him off me and hopping off his desk.

"I'll see you after work," I winked at him before leaving his study and making my way toward our room.

Our room.

I felt giddy thinking about it. I had a boyfriend. Even though it wasn't official, I liked to think about him as that. And not only did I have a boyfriend, he was the sweetest and kindest man I could've ever asked for. And let's not forget how he was able to keep me more than satisfied in bed.

I almost skipped into the room, making a beeline for the nightstand where I had left my phone when I went to visit Jake in his study. I picked up my phone, sliding it into my back pocket before moving to leave. My gaze stopped on the bed.

There was a single aconite flower on the bed, accompanied by a letter and a few pictures.

I snatched them up from the bed and quickly read over the letter. My heart stopped.

Amore mio,

It has been too long since I've seen you. I cannot wait to meet your fiancé. He will be very useful to our cause. And if he isn't, there is an ocean calling his name.

I suspect that he is too much of a distraction to you and is stopping you from reaching your true potential. I hope that isn't the case and that I won't have to do anything that you'll regret.

I hope you rejoin us soon. I look forward to meeting you again.

Giuseppe Russo

It was the crest at the end that scared the shit out of me. Our crime family's coat of arms of a golden lion breathing out flames. The same crest that adorned the handle of my pistol.

I glanced at the pictures, my breaths coming out harshly.

They were pictures of Jake and I having sex. In his study and in the bed that I stood next to now.

I was going to vomit.

Giovanni and Julian had dropped off all the weapons that they had because they knew that Giuseppe would target me. That he would seek me out and make a threat.

What I didn't understand was why.

Why the dramatics and saying that he wanted to see me?

With my family out of the way, the Russo's were able to take over as the Boss family. They should be trying to keep me out or trying to kill me.

A chill traveled down my spine. Of course. He wanted to see me so that he could kill me. And one of the easiest ways to draw me out would be to hurt Jake, who the world saw as the man I was going to marry.

God, I'd convinced myself that would happen too.

But I was stupid to have let myself be lulled into a false sense of security. I had to leave everything behind and I had to do it soon; tonight, if possible.

I ran over to the closet, finding a suitcase in the back. I stuffed clothes into it and the briefcase with all the guns and knives. I kept the easily concealable ones in my carry-on. I crouched down in front of the safe in the closet that was hidden by all of Jake's pants.