Chapter 13: Victoria

[VICTORIA]

I gulped.

"Heyyyy," I said sheepishly.

Jake scowled. His mouth was so close to mine that when he spoke his lips brushed my own.

"Care to tell me what you're doing here?" He seethed.

I smiled. "Volunteer work?"

"So you had to lie to me?" He hissed.

I laughed nervously. "Lie? I left out a small detail."

"Small, my ass," he growled. He glanced behind him at all the people staring at us. Some of the girls batted their eyelashes at him and smiled. I scowled at them, a whole wave of jealousy overcoming my body.

Jealousy?

Jake looked back at me. "When does your shift end?"

I eyed him suspiciously. "In two hours."

He nodded thoughtfully. "Okay. I'll take you home."

I stared at him in shock. "What?"

He arched an eyebrow. "Did I stutter?"

"Well, no. But why?"

He gave me a look. "Did you drive here?"

"No."

He smiled. "Then I'll take you home."

I groaned. "Don't you have somewhere else to be?"

"Nope," Jake said cheerfully.

"Fine," I grumbled. "Just get out of my sight."

A look of surprise flashed over his face but he hid it almost instantly.

He smirked at me and leaned over to kiss my cheek. "People are staring at you."

I grinned. "I know."

Jake rolled his eyes before sauntering off toward one of the shelves. I couldn't help smiling as I turned back to my book.

"Excuse me?" I heard someone say.

I looked up at the guy and smiled cheerfully. "What's up?"

He sheepishly slid over the book he was going to buy. "Hey," he glanced at my name tag. "Victoria."

I frowned at him as I scanned the book. "Hi?"

"I've never seen you around here. Are you new?" He asked me curiously. He handed me $15 for the book.

"Yeah." I gave him a suspicious look. "I wanted a job, so my friend recommended this." I smiled. "You guys are all really nice though."

The guy smirked. "So did it hurt?"

I raised an eyebrow. "Did what hurt?"

"Did it hurt when you fell from Heaven?" The guy was leaning forward, and he looked convinced that somehow that had wooed me.

I looked at him in disgust and was about to respond with a 'fuck you.'

"Nope. But it'll hurt when I kick you in the balls," Jake smirked down at him, leaning back against the counter.

The guy raised his eyebrows. "Dude, I already called dibs."

Jake examined his nails. "The joke's on you, dude. She's my fiancée."

The guy shook his head. "No, she isn't."

Jake looked down at him, with a little tilt to his head. "What was that?"