Chapter 12: Jake

I hope this is better than the last one.

***

[JAKE]

I woke up the next morning with a weight on my chest. I quickly looked down in confusion.

Victoria was curled up next to me, her nose scrunched up adorably, her red lips parted. Her hair was a total mess but honestly she looked beautiful to me.

I found myself staring at her as I slowly rubbed circles on her hips. She shivered under my touch, pushing closer to my chest.

Don't get attached.

I carefully moved her off me before standing up. I rolled my neck, hearing a few cracks as I yawned sleepily. Looking down at Victoria, I could see she was frowning. She reached for something next to her but came up empty handed. My eyes widened when I realized that she was looking for me.

I was tempted to lie back down next to her, but I forced myself to look away. This is so stupid.

As I walked back to the door that lead inside, I couldn't help but look back at her. With a sigh, I went back and took her into my arms.

I carefully placed her in her room, pulling the blankets to her chin. I softly closed the door behind me, and made my way downstairs.

Ian was rushing around the kitchen, fixing his tie and buttoning up his sleeves. He fastened his watch around his wrist as he shoved a piece of toast into his mouth.

Amy sat at the table, watching with an amused look on her face. "Your shirt is inside out," she remarked.

Ian looked down at himself and cursed. He loosened his tie, placing it on the back of the chair. He quickly took off his shirt, revealing his bare chest. Amy was openly staring at him, as she licked her lips.

Ian looked up at her and smirked. "A dollar a look, sweetheart."

Amy glared at him. "I'm not your sweetheart."

Ian shrugged casually but the glint in his eyes suggested anger. He quickly put the shirt back on and the tie.

Amy tilted her head before taking her purse out and handed him a $10 bill. "Keep the change," she said sweetly.

Ian glared at her and stalked away. Amy smirked.

I couldn't help the smile that tugged at my lips.

"Where's Victoria?" Amy asked.

I frowned at her and moved to stand in front of the coffee machine. "How would I know?"

Amy shrugged. "Well, you're kinda obsessed with her."

"I am not!" I exclaimed.

She rolled her eyes. "So where is she?"

I turned to my coffee. "She's sleeping."

Amy smirked. "Did you sneak into her room?"

I squinted at her. "No!"

She nodded, looking amused. "Uh huh."

"I didn't!" I protested.

Amy laughed before standing up with her purse on her shoulder. "You're going to be late."

I sighed. "I know." I grabbed the cup of coffee and raised it to my lips.