Chapter 24: Alex, Jake, Ian

[ALEX]

"Alex," Ivy called.

I looked up from my position on our bed, grinning when my gaze met hers. She stood in the doorway, a soft smile on her lips as she looked at me.

She walked over to me and leaned down to peck me on the lips. I pulled her down by her waist, causing her to let out a small squeal as she fell on top of me. I kissed her again, longer and harder this time. After I was satisfied, I kissed her forehead, before pressing our foreheads together.

"Hi," she whispered.

"Hi," I said back, before pecking her on the lips again. "Why did you come home so late?"

"A patient's appointment was running late so we had to stay past closing time. Nurse Nemy wanted me to observe and help her so I had to stay."

I nodded thoughtfully, running a hand through her hair. "I'm happy you're building your experience. I just thought we'd be able to spend more time together since class is starting next week."

"I know, I'm sorry. I'll make it up to you, I promise," she licked her lips, looking up at me from underneath her lashes.

I growled and turned us around quickly, pressing her into the bed.

***

I woke up at around midnight, Ivy sleeping peacefully next to me. I leaned toward her and gently ran a hand over her cheek. I hoped that I would be able to wake up next to her every single day for the rest of my life. We had been together for six years now, ever since she was a freshman in high school and I was a sophomore. And that was just when we started going out. I'd known her since I was 11.

Even though I knew we were still extremely young, I wanted to propose to her. To make sure that we would always be together, no matter what happened in the future.

I never let it get farther than just a longing. Ivy wanted to graduate and get a good job and travel the world before settling down. I wouldn't want to stop her from achieving her dreams. And so, I would wait for her until she was satisfied with everything that the world had to offer her.

I quietly slipped out of bed and got dressed. I made my way out of room, intending to go to the kitchen to get some food. I passed Jake's study on the way, hearing a loud crash come from the room.

I hurriedly opened the door to see that the room was completely trashed. Papers cluttered the floor, and the books in the bookshelf had been pulled out. The crash I had heard came from Jake's heavy office chair being overturned.

Jake stood in the middle of the carnage, his blazer and tie off, shirt unbuttoned at the top. He was breathing hard, a bottle of vodka in his right hand, eyes bloodshot.

I stared, my mouth agape in shock.

Jake didn't drink. He had sworn off alcohol after his mother died because of the drunk driver. No matter how many clubs we went to or bars we forced him in to, not once had he ever touched an alcoholic drink. He was always a designated driver for the rest of us and even refused to have anyone drive him anywhere. He refused to ever take the chance of history repeating itself.

I couldn't imagine what it was that made Jake pick up that bottle of vodka.

"Jake?" I asked hesitantly.

His head whipped toward my direction, his lips trembling. He brought the bottle to his lips and took a swig.

"She left," he said, laughing after he said it. He took another swig.

I stepped further into the room. "Who left?"

He gave me a look. "My Sweetheart," he whispered.