Chapter twelve

Jamal's POV
"Do you really think that's a good idea? I mean one wrong move and this could blow back in your face..." i hear Mahmud try for the 70th time to convince me not to do this

"Look.. drop it, everything will be fine... besides... she had agreed to it too" I shrugged nonchalantly

"I'm just saying..." he started when there was a knock on the door... then Leila came in and i think I froze

 then Leila came in and i think I froze

She was dressed in all white... which literally complimented her chocolate skin perfectly.. 

"Sorry, I'll come back later..." she muttered and tried to leave

"No... please, i was just leaving ..." Mahmud beat me to it.. and he gave me a look before walking out.. I noticed how he stared at her too... shamelessly which made my heart boil

She gave a half smile and walked towards me... her white killer heels made her walk like a sexy goddess... I'm sweating

"Good morning sir..." she trailed playing with her hands... they look soft and beautiful.. wtf! Get a grip

"Morning Leila... please sit.." i offered and she sat... awkwardly

"Shall we discuss the terms of our arrangements?" I asked her and she looked up... her eyes looked heavy... like she hadn't been sleeping, had she been thinking? A part of me felt bad for putting her into this..

"Are you sure you want to go ahead with this? I asked... hoping deep down that she says yes... I felt physically and mentally relaxed when she nodded lightly

I stood up and walked round the table that separates us to sit next to her on the visitor's chairs, trying to ignore the change in rhythm my heart beats when I get closer to her

"What are the terms of the agreement..." she asked and I handed her an envelope... she took it from me and opened it

"We are going to get married for real... according to the teachings of Islam.. even thou we won't consummate.." I trailed and her cheeks went dark... was that a blush?

"We would be showing a lot of public affection..." which I look forward to... I wanted to add

"Uhm.. when you say public affection... uhm like.."

"Holding hands... hugs... kisses... on the cheeks.." I answered and her cheeks went even darker...

"Why?"

"Because Khadija knows me... she knows that i used to be a very affectionate person.. publicly... if we don't do that... she'll know it's a setup.." I explained... I might look like a total ass now... but I used to be a very loving person, I was a hopeless romantic... and after I laid my heart and soul to her feet.. she wore her red pumps and walked all over me.

"Public affections... okay.." she breathed..

"Do you have a boyfriend?" I heard myself asking.. I mean I could see how she's battling with herself to go through with this.. I should have asked her if she had anyone special before forcing her into an unconsummated marriage...
Even though the thought of her In love with another man made me sick

"Uhm.. no..." she pursed and I felt relieved... good

"Well.. you've heard my terms.. what are yours.." I asked

"I don't want my mom.. uncle Fahad or Leena to know that this is a contract..." she trailed

"That's it?" I asked confused.. I was waiting for her to ask for huge amounts of money... a bigger house.. a sports car... literally anything but this.

"Yes... I know our parents would take it the wrong way.. and I don't want to hurt them or Leena in the process.." she explained and I wanted to smile..

"So you want them to think that it's real?" I asked just to be on the same track... and she nodded
In a way.. she's right... if dad finds out he'll never agree to it... and Leena is too young to understand...

"Okay then.. I think that's a good idea.. we need to get engaged as soon as possible... my lawyer said the first court date is set in 2 months..." I suggested and she nodded... shes barely speaking to me...

"If that's all.. I'll head back to work.." she said quietly standing up... I dunno why.. but I stood up too..
I walked until I was 3 inches away from her..
the smell of her perfume hit me and I felt whoozy from they way my heart was racing and I could literally see hers beating as well... is she scared of me?

I dunno why but I gently raised her head with my fingers... until she was looking at me...
"If you don't want to do this... just say it.. and we will look for another alternative.." I asked again and she gave me a sad smile that shot an adrenaline through me...

"I want to do this for you and Leena... I just ask for one thing in return..." she trailed and and I got curious...

"Don't disrespect me..." I felt the crack in her voice... her eyes were glassy.. but she blinked twice and they were gone... has she had a bad experience before??? Is that why she's so guarded?

"I will never disrespect you.. I promise.." I assured her... and she nodded...

We were lost in each other's eyes.. frozen in time.. we didn't hear the door open.. Atleast I didn't...

"Whats going on here?" I hear my father in a monotone... Thats when I realized that my fingers were still supporting her chin... oh dear

She looked like she had seen a ghost.. she quickly picked up her iPad and the files and left without a glance at me.. she awkwardly kissed my father's cheek and excused herself...

"What was that all about?" My father asked straight up.. with a very angry face..

"It's nothing..." i trailed..

"I knew bringing her here was a mistake..." he said almost to himself..
"You have all the women in the world to play with... not Leila.."

"Dad... it's not what you think, actually I was gonna come by the house and speak with you.." i trailed

"About what?" I could see his serious face only increase... he's probably waiting for the worst news.

"I uhm... I love Leila... and I want to propose to her..." I said softly...

"What?" He asked... obviously not sure he heard right.. he's right because I swore.. not once that I would never let another woman in my life...

"Yes dad... I dunno but it just happened... she's a really great person, and Leena loves her so much... and I Uh.. I think it's time to give Leena a mother she deserves.. don't you think?" I asked and I even I believed what I said... because it's all true?? Shut up

"Son..Do you honestly feel something for her?" He asked and I didn't even know when I nodded...

Then he smiled... the biggest smile i'd seen in years... then he stood up and walked up to me.. and then he hugged me... like a genuine hug...

"Please don't hurt her... she's precious to me..." he said softly and I nodded on his shoulder...

I won't...