Chapter three

Leila's POV

"I don't think I can do this

"I don't think I can do this..." I muttered as the uber ride stopped... I was shaking so bad I think the driver could hear my heartbeat.

I paid him and he wished me goodluck and that made me smile... such a nice gentleman.

I filled out the application online and wrote a small test... 3 days later I was called in for an interview with a Mrs Adams... I refused to tell uncle Fahad because I wanted to know I earned it..

I stood straight and fixed my neat new work outfit Nini helped me pick out at the Mango mall...

I walked in and stopped at the reception

"Goodmorning welcome to QuantumX how can I help you?" The neatly placed woman spoke so professionally..

"Good morning... Uhm I have an interview with Mrs Adams?" I said quietly fidgeting with my fingers..

"And what's your name?" She asked politely... probably trying to ease my nerves..

"Leila... Leila Habib..." I said with a small smile and she smiled back... that made me a little more comfortable... a smile from a stranger goes a long way...

"Yes, Leila Habib... your interview will start in 15 minutes... please use the elevator by your right, go to the 4th floor and you will be instructed on what to do..." she explained

"Thank you very much ma'am" I said politely and she wished me good luck with a warm smile

I followed the instruction and the secretary on the 4th floor directed me to sit and wait...
I sat at the lounge and realized I wasn't the only one waiting for the interview.. of course I can't be the only one...
Hence my anxiety grew...

I noticed how they were all dressed to perfection... with designer cloths... you could tell from the way their makeup sat perfectly on their faces... they were not from my class..
And they were throwing daggers at me...

I adjusted my glasses and took out a small novel to pass the time...

I was so lost in my book.. I didn't hear my name at the first call

"Mss Leila??" The secretary called again and I quickly shoved the book back in my bag and followed her to the glass door..

She opened it and gestured for me to enter... I did nervously with a small bismillah..

I met a middle aged woman waiting for me with a file in front of her and I greeted her politely.. she answered and gestured for me to sit

I sat quietly and looked down...waiting... waiting for the questions

She was flipping through the pages on the file.. that was the only sound you could here... and probably my heart beat...

"You're quite an intelligent woman according to this... straight A student from preschool... first class civil engineering... valedictorian...I'm impressed..." she said in a monotone..

"Thank you ma'am..." I stuttered

"Tell me about yourself..." I asked as she sits back with a warm smile and I let of a breath I was holding...

"Well... I am... Leila Habib, i schooled in...." she shook her head cutting me off... oh dear Allah help me

"Not your academics dear, I already have that here... tell me about your personal life..." she gestured and I looked down playing with my fingers one of my many habits

"I am Leila, I'm an only child, I lost my dad a few months ago..." I paused when I felt a lump just by remembering...

"I am so sorry to hear that.." she said and I saw the concern and honesty in her eyes..

"Thank you..."
"I stay with my mom and my uncle, I love reading books, cooking, sketching...."

"That explains the Outlier book peeping from your bag..." she said amusingly and I looked up in shock

"I'm a very observant woman Leila..." she explained and I smiled

"I have one more question for you...
why do you want to work here.. you are clearly over qualified for this position..." She asked curiously

There's no point lying... my daddy told me to never lie no matter where I find myself

"Honestly... I applied for my masters.. but I'm not starting until next year june, i don't want to stay idle for a second... I researched about this company and I know I will gain a lot of experience from this opportunity...
And my father always say that even the mightiest of our heroes started small... so I don't think I'm overqualified... I think I want to learn as much as I can as soon as I can"

She paused for like 10 good seconds... just staring at me... and I had already given up... why did I blab this much???? Oh God

"I have to say... You are an interesting  young woman..." she smiled

"Thank you ma'am..."

She stood up and extended her hand to me... "I'll be in touch... thank you for coming in"

"Thank you for your time..." I shook her delicately and left...

I got home feeling much relaxed than I left:..
ofcourse my mom and uncle asked so many questions it felt like another interview...

Guess now we have to wait ...

I picked up my phone and called Nini... filled her in about everything and she told me how she also had an interview scheduled the next day... thank God I went through mine... I could sleep now...
I prayed isha and read the Quran before sleeping peacefully