Chapter Thirty-eight: Love at Long Last? 2.0

[{ third person pov oh }]

"I hope you die!" Dan called to the ape-like five year old who kept trying to scale the monkey bars which were cached in a thick layer of ice and extremely slippery. The brunette had been having to babysit the blond child for two days straight because his mum refused to trek after him into the current blizzard that is London. Dan didn't want to, either, but he really didn't have a choice. He couldn't say no to Angela.

Which was the same obstacle an ebony haired boy with a massive hangover and unfathomable jetlag was attempting to scale. "Phil, go talk to him! Now! They're at the park down the street, go!" The beautiful blonde woman attempted to usher her son out onto the snowy street. He elicited a sigh through chapped lips, giving up, allowing her to launch him back into the icy wonderland. He'd literally just gotten dropped off by his friends and just wanted to sleep off his funk of a mood but no. He had to go mend things with Dan while he was cranky. What if he accidentally snapped at him? Said something wrong because he was so exhausted? What if Dan could tell he'd been drinking six hours earlier? It wouldn't be good but he didn't have any other options.

"That's why it sounds so familiar!" Dan exclaimed aloud, genuinely speaking to himself, something he does often without realising. His thoughts just leave his lips without consent. "'Violet Hill' is a Coldplay song." He finished his thought, sentence a bit incoherent, but its not like anybody heard him. Keaton definitely wasn't paying attention. His eyes flit around the snow covered park, white tufts of icy pillows falling in heaps all around. His lips were bright red and his nose was pink, skin paling in comparison to his brown hair. As soon as Phil were to lay eyes on him today, he'd fall in love all over again. But, for now, Phil was just reaching the park entrance.

Dan knew he'd have to face Phil today. He had no clue when he was to arrive but today was indeed the date he was scheduled to return. His anxiety was rising with every passing minute, anticipation smothering him. He'd wanted to talk to Phil since that phone call amidst his high. He also wanted to kiss him, hold him, and show him he didn't need drugs. Dan wanted to be his replacement drug, he wanted Phil to need him. Dan was done drowning his feelings for one boy within another. Because, at the end of the day, he could still taste his love for Phil, stuck in the back of his throat like a permanent reminder of what he couldn't purge. He'd never flush his system of Phil, no matter how hard he tried.

This is when Phil saw him. It was quite magical, really, how they were so connected at that moment and neither of them knew it. Dan realised he would always love Phil as Phil fell in love with the same boy twice. The eldest of the two took off running, thin coat flapping in the wind, cold air burning his lungs, snow catching in his hair, contrast to his dark locks. Dan still hadn't noticed him; much too busy thinking about him. Dan was imagining kissing Phil as Phil decided he would kiss Dan.

Phil launched himself onto the brunette, landing on top of him in the snow, heart thudding in his chest as their eyes met. "Dan." Phil breathed out as if just now registering it was really him, adoration in his tone, admirance in his gaze. The two saw nothing but love within the other. "I love you." Dan told Phil just as he connected their frozen lips. Despite the cold, it was perfect. Phil projected his love for Dan through their kiss in order not to break it; and Dan ignored the taste of vodka still tainting his lover's lips because it didn't matter. The drugs, the alcohol, none of it. From age twelve to fifteen, Dan had been knee-deep in alcohol and drugs because his mum didn't care-she gave it to him-and to hold that against Phil screamed contradiction. He just wanted to be his.

And he told Phil that, about an hour later. They were curled up on the sofa in the den, Lord of the Rings playing on the TV though their attention was held captive by the steady falling snow out the window. After their chilly kiss in the snow, they held hands (Dan's gloved, Phil's not) and led the way home, Keaton complaining of the cold right behind them. Shuffling inside, Angela made them all strip completely naked in order to "keep her house snow free". Or she just wants Dan and Phil back together so badly that she's willing to put them in very awkward though possibly bonding situations. Dan and Phil were blushing like fools, definitely feeling awkward, but had fresh, warm jimjams on their bodies in mere minutes, along with scorching mugs of hot cocoa in their hands.

They downed their cocoa and didn't say a word as Dan drug his love into the lounge and they collapsed on the couch in a heap. Phil was stretched out across the sofa, Dan laying daintily on his chest, legs tangled and criss-crossed. Neither spoke a word until Dan murmured-"I just want to be yours again."

"You are." Phil told him, caressing his face. Dan felt warmth swell in his chest like a flame and suddenly he was crying. "No, no.." Phil said, wiping his tears away. "None if that." He told him, kissing his forehead, then his nose. Dan sniffed, slurring, "You'll take me back? Just like that? No catch?"

Phil nodded firmly, a hardness to his tone as he responded, "The only catch is my father...and screw him. If he touches you, he's dead." Dan chuckled despite the warning in Phil's voice. The coldness wasn't directed at him therefore he wasn't afraid when he leaned up and kissed him. It only lasted a second and when he leaned back, he caught something in Phil's gaze.

Love. Pure and absolute love. Everything was, at last, truly right.

/ / /

This was a short chapter but oh well.

This story isn't over quite yet, i still have plot line to cover-they still have to f u c k and Phil's father still needs to be "caught" (;)) and i still have havoc to wreak c; but it's definitely ending soon; this is my longest fic ever ; o