Chapter Twenty-one: Recrafting our worlds

{ Dan }

I sipped from my mug, the coffee scorching my throat in a good way, the soft linen of the borrowed pajamas Im clad in carressing my raw skin, soothing it. I had just showered though I still felt covered in an inch of grime and now I was tucked into a recliner in Phil's library, with a mug of French vanilla coffee, a warm blanket, and a John Green book (Looking for Alaska) all equating to Heaven. Phil was talking to his mom. Keaton was sound asleep upstairs. I had no clue what was going to happen.

Memories from the past hour began flitting around my brain. I'd never seen Phil that angry. When he charged for his father, shaking with rage, my mom had fled the room like the frightened little girl she is, and I rushed to Phil in attempt to pull him off his dad. But he had morphed into something mightier than the hulk; unable to be pried away by me nor pushed away by his father. He was untouchable.

I shivered despite being completely and comfortably warm, still feeling like I was roaming through a dream. This didn't feel quite...real yet.

Then the door clicked shut ever so softly and my blanket was lifted off of me. I looked up, my eyes meeting Phil's glassy blue ones as he tucked himself into the chair with me. I shut my book, offering him a sip of coffee. He took the mug, taking a sip before setting it on the small side table and turning to me. "My mum's going to take care of everything, okay? I love you." He murmured, tucking my legs into his lap so that I was essentially sitting on him. I shifted positions so that I could rest my head on his shoulder. "I love you, too." I told him, smiling weakly, my eyelids drooping due to my incurable exhaustion. "Im sorry I couldn't save you." Was the last thing I heard before I faded out of consciousness, falling into the best sleep of my life.

- - -

I woke up in Phil's arms, on his bed, under his duvet, in his room. This was the best way to wake up: surrounded by everything Phil. He was still asleep.

Not caring that it was a Tuesday and we'd probably get in further trouble for 'skipping', I buried myself closer to Phil, forehead on his shoulder. I was planning on finding more sleep, I mean, his mum obviously doesn't care because she hasn't woken us up yet.

I started running my hand through Phil's inky, dark hair, enjoying the softness. I kissed his forehead, waiting for the aching in my chest to subside. Remembering what Phil said last night, I reveled in the disbelief that Phil actually thought he could've saved me. He couldn't have done anything. I know he likes to believe he could've but he had no way to. No one did, except my mom...and she let me down. Again.

Suddenly Phil shifted and rolled over on his side, burrowing his face into my shoulder. "Please don't be angry," he murmured out of the blue, pecking the corner of my mouth. "Why would I be?" I questioned, flicking my eyes down to look at him. I couldn't see his face. "I told my mum everything. My dad, the raping, the cheating, the drugs, the self harm, school...everything." I felt a drop in my stomach, feeling naked. All of my secrets.. exposed. I wonder if Phil's mother thinks of me differently now. But, wait, he left something out...

"Our eating disorders?" I inquired, the dread in my stomach growing. "No," he began, sending relief scattering throughout my body, chasing away the dread. "I wanted us to be able to deal with that on our own. It's none of her concern."

"Good news, though." He added before I could respond, pushing himself into a sitting position. I lifted an eyebrow. "She's going to speak to the school board and see if she can homeschooling us once the semester ends. That's only two months away!"

"That's amazing!" I noted, allowing myself to imagine. No more waking up at the crack of dawn's ass, or avoiding classes, or obnoxious teenagers, or homework I won't complete. I was going to be untethered from so many of my troubles so so soon. Lets just hope I don't conduct a countdown because then the day would seem to never come.

"Right?" He agreed, suddenly red in the face. "What?" I inquired, furrowing my brows. "Nothing..just..." he said then bit his lip. I kissed him quickly, smiling at him. "Seriously? What?" I questioned again, getting the hint when he engaged me in a series of long kisses.

"Phil," I groaned as he bit my lower lip. "I don't feel like a makeout fest," I admitted, pulling away from him. "Maybe after a shower...but I'm...grody...right now." I explained, hoping he read between the lines: the last person's lips who touched mine was his father's. I wanted to be clean before we kissed.

I mean, don't get me wrong: I liked that he wanted to kiss me. And I absolutely loved that he was the dominant one here-i could already tell he was despite the farthest we've gotten being an intense makeout session-because I am not good with initiating kisses or knowing when to kiss someone. I loved Phil and I loved kissing him. Just not when his father's spit was still on my lips. "Go shower then, so I can kiss you, silly! Go, run, bye!" Phil shooed me away, causing me to laugh. Oh, I loved him.

(A/n: I know the whole kissing thing was a tad random but I did it for two reasons. 1- I wanted you, the readers, to know you haven't missed out on some important smutty scene. Phil and Dan have obviously not had the time to engage in sexual play. Yet. And 2- I was trying to make the story appear more real because it literally happens like this in real life. One second you're talking about school and the next you're kissing. It happens like this a lot. Okay continue on to the story ~)

[ Phil ]

Once Dan got in the shower (though he showered last night but I wasn't going to be a major ass and point that out-i know what it's like to shower repeatedly and still not feel clean), I headed to my mum's room, curious to see what she's accomplished. Since she's a lawyer, and a great one at that, I imagine quite a bit.

When I walked in, she was just finishing up a phone call, scribbling something into the notepad on her lap. There were papers scattered all over her bed. "What's the 411?" I asked when she placed her phone down.

"Police are searching for my soon to be ex husband along with Daniel's mother. Bart will be faces with the more major charges, such as aggravated assault of a minor, illegal substance abuse, the selling of illegal substances, embesslement and fraud, rape of a minor, as well as a few additional charges." She began, reading from her notebook. "Dan's mother has substance and illegal subtance abuse, child neglect, and the possession of illegal substances over her head. It's settled with the Department of Child services that Dan is under my care until the day he turns eighteen or if he requests to be placed into Foster care. The school is giving me troubles with homeschooling but I think if you guys pass your EOCs it'll happen. Oh, and, can't forget about my boys, the two of you will be receiving counseling with a psychiatrist as well as psychologist, meeting every two weeks, starting next week. Forget support group." She finished, smiling at me as she shut her notepad and pushed her glasses on top of her head, proud of herself. Hell, I'd be proud of myself, too.

I took a deep breath and let all of that sink in. Okay..one half of both our parents are going to prison...and Dan's going to be living with us...and it's nearly a sealed deal that we'll be homeschooled at the completion and passing of our EOCs...and we get actual therapy from actual doctors! My mom is amazing. I couldn't wait to tell Dan! Hopefully he isn't disappointed that our kisses would have to wait.

- - -

This chapter wasn't very good istg I'm sorry it takes me so long to update just I have so many chapters written but typing them up takes so long I'm so sorry ugh ily guys sm. ♥