Chapter Twenty: Unmasked

› okay..so I had to mentally prepare myself before I wrote this because it was too similar to some events in my own life therefore I apologise if it's a bit messy because I wrote it over the course of several days. I've just now gotten around to updating it because all my free time ends up being utilized by homework or Netflix. Sorry ;-; ‹

-------

[ Phil ]

    The day's start was particularly uneventful, the only thing that really stood out being the colour of the sky. I didn't see Dan all day but with our new schedules, I'd hardly see him in school.

I was an obedient little schoolboy: I showed up to physical science, where I was taught how cells function; I was present in Algebra II honors, to find out how to isolate 'X'; I was witness to my lesson in Government to memorize what Oligarchy, Totalitarian, Fuedalism, Aristocracy, Theocracy, and Tribal Systems are. I sat through the tension filled lunch where PJ and Chris attempted not to meet eachother's eyes and I served as the conversation-starter as well as the conversation-saver; and I tried not to dose off in French, where I learned how to say "Throw yourself down the stairs". Never know when I'd need that phrase, especially in a foreign language!

    Finally the final bell rang and it was time to follow the first step to set my plan into motion. I headed to Starbucks with PJ and Chris and got a mocha frappe to build up my caffeine levels. Since there was finally something in my body allowing me to produce energy, I finally noticed the thicker tension I wasn't tuned into at lunch. The two boys across from me weren't even trying to hide the fact they were obviously not speaking whereas just the other day, they were joking and laughing like normal.

"Okay. First: Chris confesses his love for PJ. Then the tension is a bit high, but overlooked. Something else had to've happened, because now the tension is so thick it's nearly palpable. Hm..wouldn't it be nice if I were subscribed to the Peej and Chris newsletter?" I noted as if my friends weren't present, lifting my eyebrows to a deafening height. I sipped through my mint-green straw, watching the pair fiddle with their fingers and avoid eachother's eyes. Well, they may avoid eachother but they can't avoid me. Not forever, at least.

    And then, for the first time ever: PJ slipped up. He was normally so good at being together but something slipped through the cracks. "I kissed him!" He shrilled before covering his mouth with his hands.

"So...what's the issue? PJ, you obviously feel something more than friendliness for Chris. Chris loves you. Go for it." I said, brows furrowed. "I can't like Chris, okay! He's my best friend-I don't want to lose him if we get together then split up! I can't handle that!" PJ spat, pushing himself away from the table, storming out of the Starbucks. Chris and I just stared at eachother for a second, stunned. "At least we know he likes you." I pointed out ironically Chris laughed, shaking his head. "Thank God for that!" Chris said sarcastically and I grinned. I didn't know how he wasn't falling apart...if this were Dan and I, I wouldn't be able to survive. He's strong..but I pray PJ stops screwing with his feelings. It wasn't okay. He needs to figure out how he feels and stop hurting Chris.

- - -

    "Drop me off at Louise Pentland's? Im supposed to tutor her and Zoe Sugg in algebra." I requested once we were all buckled in PJ's car. "Sure thing." PJ said once we hit the blacktop. This tutoring session would keep me busy until it was time.

"Can you tell from the look in our eyes? We're going nowhere! This is sempiternal!" PJ's speakers roared as he drove to Louise's. I hadn't spoken much to Louise, I just knew she was sweet and intelligent and Zoe's best friend. Her only rough subject was algebra, which was where I came in.

    We made it in about five minutes and I grabbed my rucksack from the floorboard when we arrived, offering my farewell to the two: "Good Luck, lovebirds!"