Chapter Eight: Night in the Hospital

[ Phil ]

"I've always been scrawny. Seriously. I eat so much, all the time. Ask Dan. He's seen me when we hang out. I don't eat at home because I'm never hungry because I'm always snacking. And the cuts? Mainly from rough housing with my younger brother. I promise." The lie rolled off my tongue so easily they'd seem like fools to doubt me. I knew I convinced them. But that didn't stop my mom from saying, concern bleeding into her tone, "You'd tell me if something was really wrong, right?" I just nodded...I didn't trust my voice to lie to her when she's obviously so worried. "Okay. We want to keep you overnight for observation but tomorrow you're free to go home though I do want you to remain at home in bed for the rest of the week." The doctor said, leaving us for the night. I knew I'd barely sleep, though, coupled with haunting thoughts of the wreck and almost getting found out plus nurse interruptions.

"Mum? Has...Has Dan left?" I inquired, clearing my dry throat. It's been nearly an hour since I woke up and when I did, Dan was torn from my side and I was instantly questioned. About the wreck and my weight. I was extremely lucky I only had a few scabbed over cuts on my wrist, the others fading scars. Anyway, I was certain Dan and PJ and Chris had left, it'd been an hour, but I still hoped they were here...Mostly Dan. "A nurse told me Dan was asleep in the waiting room.." My mother told me and I gasped. "He cares a great deal for you. You want me to go get him?" She asked and I simply shook my head. "Let him sleep." I replied, weary myself. "Okay, honey. I love you." She murmured, stretching out on the red couch to the left of my hospital bed. "I love you, too. And I'm sorry." I mumbled, exhaustion seeping into my tone.

"Don't be sorry. I understand." She reassured me but the pit of dread on my stomach didn't shrink. It deepened. "But dad won't." I muttered. She didn't reply. I told myself it was because she fell asleep, not because she knew it was true. I knew I was wrong.

{ Dan }

When I woke up, I noticed two things immediately. The insane crick in my neck and the fact that I was still in the hospital. It seemed to be about midday by the position of the sun in the sky and I didn't regret missing school at all..because I'd get to see Phil. I knew he hadn't checked out yet because he would've woken me when he left. Standing up and stretching my sore-from-sleeping-in-a-plastic-chair limbs before I headed towards Phil's room. When I walked in, I saw Phil's mum leafing through a magazine and Phil picking at a meal a nurse had brought him. I knew he wouldn't eat it but I also assumed his mom would make him.

"Phil." I hummed, leaning against the doorframe. The expression on his face was priceless...he was looking at me like I was a gift. I secretly treasured the closeness our relationship had held from the start. I loved how bonded we were despite only being friends for about a week. "Dan! You slept here for me?" He questioned with a tone of disbelief. I smiled bashfully, nodding slightly. "That's so sweet, thank you." He said, a light blush colouring his pale cheeks adorably. "Mum, may Dan come home with us?" Phil asked his mother, almost shyly. "I don't think that's a good idea." She responded, Phil looking as disappointed as I felt. His mom caught on, speaking in a rush when she said: "Only because I have a feeling your dad won't be too happy..."

"You're right." Phil said with a slight sigh. "Sorry, Dan."

"It's quite fine, Phil. I just wanted to make sure you were okay before I leave." I definitely wanted to head home, take a nice, long, hot shower, then nap. Sleeping in a hospital chair was quite a restless slumber if you ask me. "I'm fine. Thank you." He said, gifting me with a heart halting smile. "No problem. See ya." I offered my farewell, attempting to smile. I knew I could never take someone's breath away with my smile like Phil.

[ Phil ]

As Dan left my room, all I could think about was how disappointed I was that Dan's smile wasn't his normal, real one. That smile made my knees weak and made it hard to breathe at how dazzling it was, not to mention when his dimples appeared. My mum was the one to shake me from my thoughts, by asking if I was ready to go home. "Yeah." I mumbled, willing my weak body to stand, not able to help feeling upset that Dan wasn't coming with us.

| » sorry it's so short and sorry it took me so long to update. But I'm pretty sure the next chapter will be fairly long c: bhye.