38

*_*
"What was that?" Carla demands, like a striking adder, "why would she flirt with you, my cousin, and do it in front of my uncle!" Her hands shake with rage.
She takes three swift steps across the room, comes up short against the wall, wheels around and takes another three steps again, prowling like a lion in a cage.
"The girl's a fool!" She spits.
"You said you love her, Carla." Ted says.
"That doesn't mean she's not a fool!"
*_*

Songs for the chapter:
Gentleman - Sia
Waterfall - Sia ft P!nk

CARLA:

My musings are interrupted by the sudden rumble of thunder and I lift my eyes to the sky. It's getting dark and the weather begins to turn. Rain coats the landscape and lightning cracks in the distance, lighting up the darkened brooding sky.

"We should be leaving." I yell loud enough for Ted to hear. He has dragged me to Haller Park with him. Saying I should have some fun before I leave for school tomorrow.

"No let's stay a little while longer." He yells back sitting on the shell of a big tortoise that might be four times his senior and a photographer captures the moment. A fork of lightning strikes a tree in the near distance. "Yeah,on second thought,let's seek shelter now."

"Haha. Shat yourself!" I laugh.

We stop at the fallen tree to seek a decent amount of shelter for a while as he calls the tour guide to ring for one of the minivans that ferry people around the park so we might get out of Haller Park and be on our way back home.

The thunder continues to crack and rumble. We crawl underneath the low branches and I shiver as a cool breeze whips through the gaps.

"Here. You mustn't freeze." He takes off his leather jacket and drapes it around my shoulders. The gesture makes me feel both guilty since he'll instead be cold now and also surprised at his generosity.

"Why thank you. You don't strike me as quite the gentleman type though."

"I'm not. I just can't resist a damsel in distress." His eyes glow with mischief, he smiles an impish smile that brightens his face and it makes me a little dizzy.

He kneels before my feet and reaches for my boots to tighten the laces.

"Yes, bow before me sinful child." I scoff playfully.

"Shut up." He orders trying to sound authoritative.

They're are worse things I could say to a handsome boy on his knees before me but his scent hypnotizes me. I can smell the musk of his cologne, woody and earthy - a masculine scent that is so damn appealing. My body starts reacting in every way I refuse to allow my mind. My lips part as his mouth moves closer and closer.

"I will have you and your innocence, soon. Have some patience cousin." He whispers then parts from me leaving me blushing profusely.

He was teasing me into thinking he'd kiss me. I am embarrassed to say the very least and I leap on my feet to punch him. I form a fist but no matter how hard I  swing,I leave no eminent pain on him. When my hand comes in contact with his body, I sense the muscles hidden beneath his clothes and I hate myself for conjuring up possibilities in my head.

♥♥♥

We get home late and since my uncle is "working late" tonight, my aunt, Betty, begs me to sleep in the master bedroom with her.

"It is a hard pregnancy this time, the doctor swears it is because I am carrying a big strong boy and he is sapping my strength."

"When I lay in bed the weight of the baby presses on my back so that my feet and toes seize with cramps."

"Just ask for a massage!" I groan and burrow down to the end of the bed to massage her clenched toes.

"For God's sake go to sleep," I say angrily. "Why do you toss and turn the whole time?"

"Because I cannot get comfortable," she snaps back. "And if you cared for me and less for yourself you would get me an extra pillow for my back and some water, instead of lying there like a fat widow."

I giggle at that, sit up in the darkness and turn to look at her.

"Are you really sick or just making a fuss over nothing?"

"Really sick," she says. "Truly, Carla, I ache in every bone in every bone of body."

I sigh and get out of bed and turn the light on.

"You're so white," I say cheerfully. "You look old enough to be my grandma."

"I am in pain," she says steadily. "If you had ever carried a child you would know what it feels like. I swear to you it's no small matter."

"I can see that it is not," I say. "I only have to look at you to know that you feel like a woman of ninety years old."

"Maybe you should call the doctor and your uncle. The pain is getting worse. This might be it." She winces in pain and I grab my phone.

It is three hours later when we finally hear the cry of the baby. My uncle had arrived an hour earlier bringing with him my grandma.

It is a girl and my uncle has names her Angel!

I melt at the sight of her. She is an exquisite little bundle with hands so tiny that they are like the palms of a little frog, eyes as dark as the sky on a thunderstorm.

She has a dusting of black hair on the crown of her head, a real melanin goddess.  On her little face is a kissable rosebud mouth. When she yawns she looks like a very queen, bored of insufficient praise. When she cries, she squeezes real tears onto her outraged pink cheeks, like a monarch denied her rights.

I watch as she feeds, marvelling at the insistent powerful sucking on her mom's breast. She swells like a lamb and sleeps as if she is a drunkard lolling beside a tank of booze.

Aunt Betty stands to put Angel in her crib and in her eyes I see she has fallen completely and utterly in love with her baby.

I grow quite cross with my grandma who claims a baby is blind until two or three years of age and that I'm wasting my time hanging over her cradle, singing to her, spreading her little fingers to tickle her palms, and taking her tiny fat foot to nibble her toes.

A/N
Hey loves. As promised, here's a quick update.

Do you think Carla will mess around with her cousin Ted or is it just her girlish whims?

What do you think will happen when Carla goes back to school? Will she and Lax break up?

Please leave a comment and remember to vote if you loved this chapter.

See you tomorrow with another update!