36

*_*
Carla jumps up, flinging herself at the balcony overlooking the city, staring into the starry night, blinking back tears which blur out the tops of the tall apartments and the blinding street lights.
It is all slipping away.
All the resolute, stiff-necked, tight-lipped determination to hide her troubled life and staggering mental health.
All slipping away on a tide of desolation and unending nightmares that, though she tries her best to cling to her flawless-life act, is threatening to drown her in it's deepening waves.
"It'll be alright. You have me." Lax's voice is tired as she sits back on her hands, waiting patiently, should she be needed.
*_*

Songs for the chapter:
Breath Me - Sia
Splintered - Aisha Badru
Bad Things -  Machine gun Kelly ft Camilla Cabello

CARLA:

I hurriedly make her coffee when she rises from between my legs.

I watch her nervously fork the cake but makes no attempt to eat it. She opens her mouth twice to say something but seems to think against it and closes her mouth without much as an incomprehensible murmur.

I fiddle with a scratchy fingernail when she looks my way and when I turn and catch her still staring at me,she awkwardly plucks at a loose thread on her blouse.

Her eyes rise again and before I can look away,our gaze locks and I laugh nervously.

"You'd best eat. You look half-starved." I swallow a gulp of the black coffee and narrow my eyes at her.

She heeds my words and takes a bite of the cake rather suddenly then dabs her lips delicately with a napkin.

"You know we should at least talk about it." She looks up at me from creased and shadowed eyes.

"Talk about what? How you almost bit off my clit?" I tease.

"Are you implying that I didn't satisfy you?" She chokes on another bite of cake.

"I have quite an insatiable sensual appetite but that aside,you bit a little too hard. The moan was triggered by pain not pleasure." I roll my eyes at her dramatic cough.

"What?" Lax takes offense. Her jaw drops and her mouth flaps open.

"Close your mouth,dear. You're not a fish." I playfully shove her but in her eyes,a look of impatience and annoyance flashes and my smile drops.

"Quit jesting Carla. About your trouble in sleeping."

"Is my comfort none of your concern?" I twist my mouth in disgust, already displeased with the inevitable fight we are bound to have.

"Of course it is. I care Carla. If you feel uncomfortable to open up you need only tell me. I would understand."

"You wouldn't. You would uncomprehendingly do as I bade and pretend it didn't pain you. Now stop pressing on the issue." I retort, my voice a little higher than I'd intended.

"Well,sometimes you are incomprehensible and pressing you is the only thing I can do best to my intelligence. I cannot cast a blind eye at your so obvious suffering, Carla." Her voice is raw, clearly offended.