05

♥♥

Carla has it in her to admire the physical beauty of Nahar, even now in the depth of her desolation.
In the midst of her hatred for his cousin and the plans to use him for unleashing revenge on Tanu, the smooth line of his sharp jaw still has the power to move her.
The deep and astonishingly black in his eyes still a mystery she wants to uncover.
His sharp eyebrows are a rich sweep of blackness, contrasting against the fairness his skin. Nahar's perfect smile still touches her heart and sets it afire, a blazing furnace that even her loathing can not quell it.

♥♥

Songs for the chapter
i. Mountains - Labrinth, Sia & Diplo
ii. Kiss Me More - Doja Cat ft SZA

♥♥
Nahar comes, at my bidding, to our home at noon the next day. I have chosen my time with care. Mother is still at work so Shawn, Rhoda and I have the house to ourselves.

He comes in, looks around and is surprised at the silence. I go up to him and take both his hands in mine. I think for a moment that he looks, not so much as courted as hunted.

"My love," I say, and at the sound of my voice the boy's face warms; his courage coming back to him.

"Carla," he says softly.

His hand fumbles in the pocket of his pants. He draws a ring from an inner pocket. I see the wink of a red ruby, the symbol of a virtuous woman.

"For you," he says softly.

I take his hand. "Do you want to plight our troth now, before witnesses?" I ask.

He gulps a little. "Yes, I do."

I glow at him. "Do it then."

He glances around at Shawn and Rhoda as if he thinks one of them might stop him. They smile encouragingly; a pair of pleasant snakes.

"I, Nahar, take thee, Carla, to be my only girlfriend, always care for you and hold you dearest," he says, taking me by hand.

"I, Carla, take thee, Nahar, to be my only boyfriend," I say, my voice steadier than his.

He finds the third finger of my left hand. "With this ring, I promise myself to you,"he says quietly and slips it on my finger. It is a perfect fit.

"With this ring, I take you," I reply.

He bends his head and kisses me. When I turn my face the witnesses, my eyes are hazy with desire.

Nahar smile as at me, his secret knowing smile. "May I have the pleasure of your company? Shall we walk a little?"

I step towards him, enjoying the sensation of his eyes on me. "Certainly."

He draws my hand into the crook of his arm and we walk out of the house down the road to the beach.

♥♥

He matches his pace to mine along the beach and leans towards me to whisper in my ear. "You are the most delicious thing, my girlfriend. Tell me we don't have to walk for too long."

I keep my face forward but I cannot help but giggle. "Anyone could see us."

"Oh but if you are obeying your boyfriend," he points out persuasively. "An admirable thing in a girlfriend."