22

*_*
She lies in her bed,staring into the blackness which presses against her face and forces herself to recognise that if she is to have the "wild 'n out" life she longs for then she must pull herself together and join high school.
She is thirteen now,almost a grown woman and she is witless to let herself get into such a low state.
She must pull herself from that mindless stupor the "violation" had caused. Work,work and soak up to every bit of learning that will be available to her. Four years is a long time. She will heal from it all,stay away from them all.
Morning will come and she will pack and leave for the greater heights of life.
"So stop moping and grizzling." She tells herself sternly.
*_*

Songs for the chapter:
Rescue - Lauren Daigle
Hearts - Jessie Ware
Rise - Katy Perry

CARLA:
I am not particularly surprised when I hear my name whispered, just at my back.
"Carla,its me."

I smile and lift my head, knowing who it is.

"You shouldn't have come,Rhoda, though I knew,of course that you would and I'm glad you did."

"I couldn't let you go,lass,not without saying goodbye. I brought you a few things to remember me with." Rhoda speaks calmly,her voice sad.

Rhoda stands there,her face pressed desperately against the wrought-iron bars of the estate gate which keep her in and me out. I move back to her and place my hands over hers which grip the gate.

"Thank you,Rhoda. I knew I was waiting for something or someone and shouldn't I have known it was you? I didn't think it would be this hard saying goodbye to you or rather moving away for four years....to some strange boarding school... I will terribly miss you though I have nothing to hold on for here. No one..."

"But there is me. You could wait till we went to the same school,we'd have each other..."

"Oh Rhoda, I wouldn't want to spend another day in this horrid estate. I've had enough."

"I'll miss you,Carla."

She bows her head and I feel the hot,sad tears fall on to our clasped hands. She weeps noisily, harshly, her eyes red and swollen with tears. I find myself torn by it and silently, effortlessly, I weep with her. My hands move to her face and for several minutes I stand there,holding Rhoda's lovely face between my gentle hands, gazing steadfastly into her eyes, forcing her to be calm, to stop that crying, to believe we will meet again, soon perhaps.

"You'd best get back,Rhoda," I beg her to let go of my hands but she holds them even tighter, "and remember to eat well,stay safe because..."

Rhoda cuts me off as she laughs mirthlessly then leans forward,putting her hand through the bars of the gate to touch my cheek.

"Lass,you're the one about to drown in a strange life and you're worrying about me and my..."

"Alright then,you are a big girl. Now shall I please leave? I will call,send letters once in a while." I manage to get my left hand from her grasp but as I turn to leave Rhoda grips me fiercely,putting her arm through the bars and about my neck, drawing my face to her own against the cold iron. She weeps desolately and I hold her to me instinctively, soothing her with suddenly trembling, suddenly gentle hands. With no thought of my uncle watching from his car nor of the public setting and the nature of our relationship, my lips move across hers licking away the salty tears.

"I love you,Carla." Rhoda sighs,breaking the kiss. "And you're definitely a wild one." She chuckles.

"Wild,is it,Rhoda Issa? A little kiss wilder than your twin attempting to rape me? Nay,this isn't at all wild."

"Don't speak of him like that,Carla."

"Like what? Oh I forgot I have no right to "accuse" him,to besmirch your family name and to try and drag what is fine and...and sacred through the mud. Your family name means more to you than the violation,the destruction done to me? Oh but how can I expect lesser from you? You Issas are all the same,aren't you?"

"Carla...dear God..."

"Don't you say a word to defend him,Rhoda. But I promise you this,you've not heard the last of me,neither has he. I mean to get on. I don't know how but I will and when I've got the strength it needs, I'll bring him to his knees,I swear it." I kiss her hands, my lips cold just like my heart is numb.

I speak the words without menace, without emotion, in a voice which is cold and expressionless and because of it, is more frightening, all the more commanding. It lingers in the air like the last trembling moments of a nightmare and Rhoda Issa, shivering, lets go of my hands.

"I am so sorry Carla. He sent me to apologize on his..."

"Oh spare me the pity,lass,will you? Watch for me,Rhoda. A day will come when your twin, Joe Issa will curse the moment I walked into his life and certainly that moment when he decided to smile in the direction of Carla."