28

*_*
When Lucky's bedmate,Anna enters their cube she is surprised to find Lucky sitting, straight-backed and straight-faced on her narrow,white covered bed. She has her hands folded on her lap and her expression is strained.

It is a spacious room. Besides the double decker bed there's a washstand,a study table,two wooden chairs and a simple pine chest of drawers which they share.
It is immaculately clean and tidy.

"Lax,what are you doing here? Shouldn't you be getting ready to go pick your new pet? You'd best look lively now,my friend." Anna smiles mischievously,pulling her weekend dress over her head and throwing it carelessly on the bed knowing Lax will put it away for her whilst she hurries into her nightdress.

But as she reaches for her dress,she is suddenly aware that Lax still sits still like a sculpture and a feather of unease runs down her spine. There's trouble in Paradise!
*_*

Songs for the chapter:
Gone - Bebe Rexha
Forget Me Not - Andra ft Dorian

LAX:

"What is it?" Anna asks,her voice falling to a lower  key,more suited for the solemnity of the news I am about to give.

"She...doesn't want me." I say hollowly, still looking beyond Anna's shoulder,seeing nothing,thinking nothing but Carla's outburst which has not been to my liking but must be faced.

"Don't want you?" Her voice goes up an octave ,almost a shrill now in her fear for how I must be feeling.

"She heard of it. That senseless talk that has being going around. She believes it. I don't think she will slip out tonight."

"Shouldn't you go check? You wouldn't want to have her wait in this freezing cold while you wallow in nonexistent grief."

"You think she will be waiting for me?" I try not to be too hopeful but fail to hide my smile.

"We won't know unless you go for her. Cheer up now, wear your cardigan and throw a shawl over your shoulders for it's too chilly out there. Go now!" She practically pushes me out, sending me into the cold night,hopefully to the arms of my lover.

• • •

I continuously stomp my feet and move from one foot to another,doing my best to dodge the swarm of mosquitoes about me. My hands fly around slapping my arms in a fruitless attempt to kill the relentless predators who seem to want me dead but I only end up bruising my skin. It must be half an hour since I came. I shouldn't...

I hear a soft snort and then Carla's angry voice. She must be sending her bestie Mercy off so she  change her clothes and come to me. The two are always together, inseparable really.

"Dear God,if I hear that bloody bitch say one more word against Lax I swear I'll strangle her,Bestie. I don't know how I stop myself really,I don't. She shouldn't be speaking so ill of her. She is a first year like us,how could she possibly know all about Lax? It makes my blood boil because I know very well she makes most of it up!" Carla's voice is anguished. I see them go down the back stairs but then stop as Mercy turns to Carla,holding her hand in hers.

"Make it up? Why should she make up stories about Lax? What has she to gain from it?" Mercy's voice is quiet.

"But why has it been so easy for us? Months have gone by and no one, well apart from Zahra and you, has known or even suspected our affair. It seems as though fate itself, laughing behind it's hand,is determined to do all in it's power to make it easy for us!" Carla's face breaks into an unsure smile.

"Downfalls can be fated too." Mercy murmurs.

Carla turns slowly,the light on the ceiling shining directly on her and I get a clear view of her face. It assumes the turbulence I know so well,an expression which says Mercy best not criticise me in Carla's hearing, not unless she is ready to have her ears boxed but suddenly,surprisingly, she rests her head on Mercy's shoulder with a slow moan.

"Bestie...oh God,Bestie...it's hard...so hard to keep faith with her when no one has a good word for her. When all the talk is of how Lax lifts the skirts of any girl she fancies whether the girl fancies it or not." Her face jerks,the flesh so bloodless as to be almost transparent.

"There has to be truth in it,bestfriend. But sleep it off. Do not let it get to your head. You don't love her,do you?" Mercy looks into Carla's eyes and I stay still, readying myself to hear what Carla has to say. She loves me. Of course she does.

"I know that look. Well goodnight then,Carla." It is Mercy who speaks instead of Carla and I want to run to her and slap her for not letting Carla speak instead. What look was it?

They share a brief hug then Mercy walks out and Carla inside. She must be going to change and come to me. I should wait. Just a little while longer. If she cares what they speak about me then she cares about me.

I have been sitting on a stone under a mwarubaini tree for three hours now. The wind lashes fiercely carrying with it droplets of water since the sky is gloomy and heavy rain threatens to fall anytime but I cannot leave. I cannot bring myself to go.

Half a dozen times I rise to my feet,to stretch my legs for my knees are going numb and each time,I am tempted to leave. I tremble as the winds lashes against me for it is a bitterly cold night. I stare hard into the solid darkness, trying to pierce it with burning eyes for the sight of a dark figure going down the back stairs.

• • •

Thoroughly soaked from the heavy downpour,I  creep back to my cube a little before dawn. Anna springs from her bed,knowing, even before I speak that she has not come. I stay still,afraid I could wake the other sleeping girls since my teeth are chattering quite loudly,my very bones rattling,my whole body shaking from the cold.She helps me off my clothes and takes me wordlessly into her own warm bed,wrapping me in comforting arms.

"She did not come." I whisper at last.

"No,lass."

"I should have not expected her on the very night of our fight. She must be angered,anguished, maybe even in tears,aching for I have hurt her. All that talk and she cannot know the truth. She must have been too burdened with thought to come."

"Really Lax? You talk as if you're not the girl who has just spent eighteen hours on her feet,rained on to the point of catching a cold."

"Don't,Anna...don't say anything against her for I shall not have it. She didn't think I would be waiting but tomorrow I must let her know...Anna... d'you think you could put a note in her hand?"

"Oh Lax,don't do this to yourself." Anna begins to rock me in her arms, as one might rock a child to sleep.