16

*_*
A stormy night in Nairobi can be very savage,unforgiving. Only the  suicidal would dare venture out in such nights. Any attempting to journey on foot would find themselves saturated in mere seconds, swaying in the face of the swirling winds threatening to blow them completely off course.

If one survived that,they still stood in danger of slipping on slick,wet stones just awaiting to slide down the passerby who's too preoccupied with blinking raindrops from her stinging eyes to take notice of the uneven ground.

Carla walks back into the house with Hassan closely following her,cursing her for wanting to stay out so late and threatening to tell on her to her aunt who is on a nightshift tonight. The pair hurries up to the house.

Despite bundling themselves up in thick, hooded fur coats,their hair clings to their faces in sodden rivulets,teeth chattering and fingers numb as the howling gale sweeps its way inside the fastenings of their garments.
*_*

Songs for the chapter:
I'll Be There -Krewella
I'll Be There - Jessie Blyne.

CARLA:

I light up the chandelier at the entrance to the house and press the front door switch to turn all the lights on. Moving at last under the shelter of the house, I sigh gratefully in response to the pleasant change in temperature. Deciding to turn on the coffeemaker before rushing to my chamber and changing into warm clothes,I walk towards the kitchen. I am startled when I find my aunt dozing on a fondling chair by the fire, the heat giving her usually sallow face a quite pleasing flush.

I hold my breath and wait eagerly for her eyes to get accustomed to the sudden light before I quietly trek upstairs without a fuss. My aunt sighs and slides further down in the comfortable chair. She frowns, her eyes still closed. I slowly take two steps, cautiously looking at her and I crush into the living room counter sending a glass falling to the floor and splitting in tiny crystal like pieces.

My aunt's eyes shoot open in consternation and I start with nervousness but Hassan only laughs. He has taken a liking to my aunt. In his eyes,she is bright and sweet-natured but that is just the side of her personality she allows him to see. My aunt is fresh and wholesome and if not exactly pretty she has a comeliness which is pleasing but she is far from sweet.

"Here now, don't you get above yourself, Carla!" She snorts. "You're no more than a guest in this house and don't you forget it. Go out in the storm,indeed! I never seen such nonsense in my life and what d'you think you're doing, lolling about like you'd got nothing better to do? There's the glass you just broke and I reckon it wouldn't sweep itself."

"And Dear Aunt, are you going to retrieve a broom for me then or what are you going to do?" I ask her sarcastically.

Aunt scowls at me, her cheeks turning a redder shade than they already were from the heat. Her hand dramatically flies to her chest and she places it on her breast in feigned shock.

"Don't be so impertinent, girl! I'll sit here and catch my breath, of course for I've had quite the fright."

"Oh, leave her be, Aurelia," Hassan laughs at my aunt. "You have a maid to clean the floor or whatever it is that needs doing and she's lounging about the kitchen this minute, I'll be bound."

"Never mind her,Hassan. Carla dropped the glass,she should pick up the damn pieces." Aunt  Aurelia's voice is soft still,but very sure. She stands and shakes out her creased skirt. There is an air about her which I know well. Strict. I have seen it a hundred times in the past. "No, Hassan. I'm sorry but I shall have my way in this."

When does she not? My tight-lipped expression asks but I hold my tongue as she continues, "Go home,Hassan and Carla get moving those pieces can't sweep themselves!"

"Go home,in the storm? How ridiculous of you to say!" The words slip from my mouth before I know it but since the damage is summat already done, I continue," I'm the one who'll be going home, milady, tomorrow morning!"

"Ready yourself for nine lengthy hours sitting on uncomfortably in the bus with sick and filthy strangers for I'm not wasting gas on your account." She says tartly.

"Very well then. Come up to my room,Hassan, you can't go out in the storm you could succumb to pneumonia or who-knows-what out there!" I take the stairs two at a time leaving my Dear Aunt cursing under her breath.

"Lorna,you lazy maid, come clean up here...the bloody brat dropped a glass!" Dear Aunt yells.