Chapter 28

(Back at Trost)

Screams echoed throughout the landscape as a soldier struggled to free himself from a titan's grasp. His heart was violently beating out of his chest as the teeth of the foul beast inched closer towards him by every passing second.

The soldier would've sworn that he saw his life flash before his eyes, his face was pale beyond understanding and because of the tremendous terror that coursed in his veins; he began to feel slightly lightheaded.

"This can't be how it ends!". He thought to himself. "Dammit! I can't die yet!".

He desperately tried to free himself from the titan's grasp once again, but his attempts to escape were futile.

He kept screaming in despair and anguish. "Please! Stop!". He begged, he knew that the beast would not understand any word he would say, but despair pushed him as far as to beg the hungry beast not to feast on his flesh. "Please! Don't do it! Don't kill me!". He shouted with the top of his lungs as tears threatened to spill from his eyes.

It was only moments before the soldier would lose his life to the titan, but he still kept screaming. He kept screaming for anyone else who can hear him, anyone else who was capable of saving him.

Millions of thoughts rushed his mind, but the only thought that stuck out to him the most was about what caused him to join this expedition.

He lamented on himself, what kind of a fool was he to fall for the empty words of the Commander? What glory was there in dying a slow and painful death to the titans?

Where was the glory in throwing your life away for a cause that was lost to him?

Why? Why? Why? Why was he here to begin with?!

He couldn't accept that fate, he refused to do so. He didn't want to die, he had a family to take care of! He still had a life to live!

He wanted to die on his own terms, not be devoured by a titan!

"SOMEBODY!!!!". He shouted as the teeth of the titan now slightly grazed his head. "SOMEBOOOODY!! ANYONE!!!! HEEEELP!!!". He screamed.

Suddenly, the movements of the titan who held him stopped.

The titan let go of the soldier and he fell to the ground, he looked at the beast that was about to eat him with fear and confusion.

The titan then fell to the ground dead, steam began to appear from all over its body since it started to slowly decompose.

A figure emerged on top of that titan, the soldier's eyes widened as he recognized who that was.

"Commander.....Erwin". He muttered.

Two other soldiers landed besides Erwin. "Take that soldier back to the inner walls of Rose, he is injured". Erwin said, the soldiers nodded and they quickly went to carry their injured comrade.

As the soldier was carried away from the battlefield, millions of thoughts rushed in his mind.

He was saved from the clutches of death, and ironically; he was saved by the person who he blamed for everything that went wrong.

Erwin Smith.

(.)

"Advance soldiers!". Erwin shouted. "Let not one titan reach Eren! Our people's fate lies on your shoulders!". He said.

The soldiers shouted in unison as they went to distract the titans that were on Eren's way.

Eren was slowly walking towards the hole on the wall, his heart pumped with excitement and anxiety, they were so close to victory.