Chapter 8

(During Nighttime)

"So....You're telling me that Annie is abandoning the mission?". Reiner looked at Bertholdt, he nodded. "Yes, but you can't blame her Reiner. Anyone of us could've done the same". Bertholdt tried to reason.

"Don't give me that crap Bertholdt". Reiner sighed. "Those island devils got into her head, she's gonna pay a hefty price for her treason". He said.

Reiner placed his hands on his head, what is he supposed to do now? He didn't want to believe the message that Annie read to them that night, he worried about his family's well-being but he also worried for Annie's.

Annie turning against them and the mission only complicated things further. He was harsh to her because he didn't want her to risk her life, and what he believed, her father's life for what seemed like a silly lie.

But it backfired, it backfired horribly.

Reiner was already suspecting that Annie mutinied against Marley, but he also hoped that she reconsidered her decision, that she comes back the next day and tells them it was all just a cruel joke.

But, reality didn't seem to give Reiner Braun a break.

"Reiner". He turned his attention to Bertholdt. "You and I know that Annie wouldn't ever lie to us, neither would she want to tell us some sort of cruel joke". He said. "If her father was turned into a Titan, then what about our families Reiner? How can we be so sure that they are safe in a state that has always treated us inhumanely?". Bertholdt asked.

"That's the exact reason why I'm fighting". Reiner said. "I want to secure my family a better future, I want them to see that the Eldians within Marley are people they can trust, that we are different from those island devils". He argued.

"And what makes you still think that they are devils?". Bertholdt countered. "I also used to think that they were irredeemable monsters, but I sat with them, I ate with them and I drank with them, the worst I ever saw from them was Sasha being caught by the instructor with a stolen potato, and she was forced to run many laps". He recalled. "You got pretty close with Eren Jaeger as well, the person we are supposed to bring to Marley".

"Are you sure these devils also didn't get to your head Bertholdt?". Reiner challenged. "I don't see them as devils anymore Reiner, but I continued the mission because I wanted to protect my family". Bertholdt said. "These people here, they treated us better than Marley ever did in our lives. An Eldian elderly woman would've shared her meal with us if we desperately needed it, but a Marleyan would've spat on us because we were Eldians". Bertholdt continued.

Reiner sighed deeply, what Bertholdt said made sense but his senses screamed that he shouldn't easily fall for this. His senses told him that these were island devils that shouldn't deserve any sympathy.

Or were they?

But then, Reiner caught a word that Bertholdt said.

Continued the mission?

"Bertholdt". Reiner said. "What do you mean by 'continued'?". He asked, his heart being overwhelmed with worry and fear.

Bertholdt's eyes slightly widened, his heart dropped and his face slightly paled. "Aren't you still loyal to the mission?". Reiner asked again.

"I....". Bertholdt tried to come up with any excuse, but his mind failed him.

Suddenly, a huge ruckus was heard from where they were sitting. Reiner and Bertholdt looked at each other and got up to observe what was happening.

They saw a huge group of soldiers protesting and shouting profanities for whatever reason.

"It's a misunderstanding!". They heard Armin shout. "Please, just let her explain!".

Bertholdt and Reiner tried to go through the crowd, and their eyes widened.

They saw Annie blindfolded and her hands were tied behind her back, and she was being escorted to the prisons by Commander Erwin and Captain Levi.

(Hours before Annie was imprisoned, day time)

Tense silence followed after Annie told the truth, she was already trying her best to hold back her tears, she couldn't even face Armin.

Armin's face paled and he couldn't find himself to say anything. He was confused, shocked, bewildered, and he didn't even believe what Annie said.

"A-Annie". Armin stuttered. "You're joking right? You must be. You can't have possibly had a hand in Wall Maria...being destroyed". He said.

But Annie's face expression only begged otherwise.

"Armin, for the love of God, understand". She begged. "I killed innocent people, I helped in destroying the wall, I'm a monster!". She said with a broken voice.

Armin's breathing became quick and his eyes widened in pure horror.

He never thought, he never even believed.

That Annie Leonhart, one of his closest people and a special person to him, contributed to the fall of Wall Maria.

Annie simply kept crying tears of regret and sorrow, she wasn't prepared for what Armin might do next.

Will he scold her? Will he expose her? She didn't know what Armin was thinking now, but all what she knew is that she deserved whatever was coming for her.

".....That's gotta be a joke". Armin said. "Y-You're not tall, you wouldn't have enough force to bring down a wall! Annie, please, tell me that it's a joke". He begged as he grabbed her shoulders.

Annie pushed away his hands. "Do you think that I'm lying?! Armin, use your head!". She begged. "I led the Titans into Wall Maria, including the Colossal and the Armored! Now how would I do such a thing in human form?!". She said, placing a clear hint that she wasn't in her human form to begin with.

The gears within Armin's mind started to work at a rapid pace, if Annie was really serious about having a part in Wall Maria....

Wait, she even said that she wasn't even in her human form!

So if she wasn't in her human form, that meant that she is capable of transforming into something. Armin knew that the only thing that a person can transform into is.....

Armin's eyes widened in horror as his heart beat rapidly, he looked at Annie with an expression of betrayal and sadness.

"Annie....You are...". Annie nodded slowly. "Armin...I can become a Titan, just like Eren". She confirmed.

Armin felt his world completely shatter, he couldn't think straight for a moment.

Annie Leonhart had Titan power, she is able to transform into a Titan.