Chapter 5

(Flashback)

When Annie was finally done from both Eren and Reiner, she went on her own way outside of the training area. She saw that all of the training they were doing was pointless to her since she figured she had more important things to do.

Annie also technically knew the majority of the techniques they taught here, and more than often; she improved upon those techniques. Of course, Annie wasn't boastful nor was she a proud person, but she genuinely saw no point in part taking this exercise. She was always able to avoid the superiors from spotting her, so she figured that she can make her way out of here without falling in trouble.

That is....if it wasn't for another person calling her name.

Annie was already annoyed because of Reiner and his shenanigans, but now she has to face another person before going out.

"Hey....You're Annie Leonhart right?". The boy asked out of curiosity. She turned around to identify the boy.

It was Armin Arlert, from what she heard about him; he was that boy who is friends with Eren and Mikasa. They say that he  is a brilliant strategist but he is physically weak.

Regardless, Annie decided to curb her annoyance and see what Armin, of all people, wanted from her. "What is it?". She asked while keeping a neutral expression on her face.

She saw that Armin was kind of nervous, he scratched the back his head while he smiled. "I heard you were a pretty good martial artist". He said. " I figured that I wanted to improve my physical strength, and I want to learn some self-defense techniques...Mikasa is pretty busy right now, and Jean told me that you were the second best, so.....".

"You want me to help you?". Annie raised her eyebrows. Armin nodded slowly. "If you wouldn't mind....". Armin asked.

Well, Annie figured that she still had time to waste, and the boy didn't seem troublesome and he was polite, unlike Reiner.

She brought a wooden "knife" and threw it towards Armin, Armin caught it with ease and he inspected it. "If you wouldn't mind me asking, but what are we going to do with that thing?". Armin asked.

Annie prepared her fighting position. "You'll see". She stood in her fighting position. "Come at me with everything you got".

Armin hesitated for a moment. "......Are you sure?". Annie look at him straight in the eyes. "Don't even hesitate for a moment, you hesitate for a split-second and the enemy can use that to his advantage". She lectured.

Armin looked at the knife, then back at Annie. Then a resolve of determination was written all over his face as he gripped the knife. "all right Annie, I'm coming with everything I got!".

(End of Flashback)

Annie sat on the grass as she looked at the stars that were aligned on the sky, she was recalling how her friendship with Armin began. She silently laughed at the memory when Armin tried to charge her, only for her to kick his leg hard; making him fall.

She still remembered how Armin kept standing up, even though she was sure that his leg would be awfully bruised. She had to admit that she admired his determination.

Time passed by and their..."training" session was over. Armin wasn't able to properly stand for the rest of the day, which truth to be told; that made Annie feel a little guilty back then. But of course, she sat by his side in the barracks and they both enjoyed a lengthy discussion.

She got to know more about Armin, and Armin got to know more about her. They talked about many things that aligned their interests, and she saw that Armin was generally a nice guy.

However, when Eren was discovered to be a titan shifter, this was where their relationship took a turning point.

That day, she saw how Armin fearlessly stood up for Eren, even when cannons and firearms where aimed directly at him. She saw how determined and courageous he was as he affirmed his loyalty to his people, and how Eren would be really helpful to protect Paradis.

From that day, because of his courage and determined spirit; Armin Arlert has rightfully earned many people's respect.

Most of all, he earned her respect and admiration.

Her heart dropped when the general refused to listen to any logical argument, it was expected after all. He didn't believe whatever Armin said, and he was fearful of Eren.

Fear completely took control of him.

He almost ordered for the cannons to fire at their direction, and Annie would've intervened if it wasn't for Commander Pixis; who halted the general's command.

And the rest was history after that.

Armin and Annie spent more time together after that, and more than often Annie found herself going to Armin and talk to him. She didn't even realize that she was getting closer to the Arlert boy. Every time she went to talk to him, there was that warm feeling always making it's way to her.

She didn't know that she was slowly falling for him.

Annie snapped out of her thoughts, she has feelings for Armin?

She tried to vehemently deny those feelings, but the more she tried to deny them, they just kept coming back stronger.

Annie placed her hands on her head, thinking about her feelings towards Armin, her identity as the Female Titan and her decision to cut her self from everyone else......

Was Annie fully sure that she was ready to cut herself away from Armin?

Annie shook her head, sadness accompanying her heart.

No, she didn't think she was ready.

But she knew that she had to.