Chapter 16

"I wonder what Armin might be doing". Sasha said. "We haven't seen him since he had to go to that court!". She exclaimed.

"Yeah, I wonder where that coconut head went off to". Ymir said. "That courting was done for a while now, shouldn't he be here by now?". Ymir said.

"Maybe they still wanted him to do something about Annie". Marco said as he carried the boxes. "But I'm sure he's fine, it's not like anything bad will happen to him, right Jean?". He asked his best friend.

Jean sighed. "Look, I trust that Armin will be able to take care of himself, but I don't trust Annie one bit". He said. "I'm not saying that I hate her, but she's giving off a bad vibe, and I don't like it". He said.

"Oh come on Jean! Both Annie and Armin are close friends, I doubt she'd do anything to him". Marco said. "And besides, didn't Armin tell us that she clearly regrets everything she did? I don't think she'll do anything reckless or bad to Armin". Marco said. "Right Eren?".

Eren only remained silent as his mind was still in turmoil for the past couple of days.

Eren only kept thinking about what Armin told him about Annie, the things that she did and why she committed these acts. He knew that he, of all people, should understand what Annie had to go through, he perfectly understood that the state that Armin talked about was their real enemy and Annie was only a mere victim of her circumstance.

But still, Eren couldn't help but ask why was his soul revolting against himself? If he perfectly understood Annie's intentions then why was he, deep down, feeling that he shouldn't forgive Annie?

His mind and his heart were constantly clashing with each other, always debating on how Eren should treat Annie from now on. Should he sympathize with her and even forgive her because of her past? Or should he choose to view her as an enemy who had a hand in his mother's death?

All of this made Eren feel conflicted, it's as if he wanted to hate Annie, but his respect for her and his knowledge about her past only screamed at him that he'd be a hypocrite if he did so.

Because he knew, and as much as he hated to admit it, that he wouldn't hesitate to destroy the world if it mean protecting his friends and his mother if she was still alive.

"Eren?". Eren snapped out of his thoughts and looked at Marco. "Oh...sorry, I was lost in thought". He said.

Marco smiled. "Don't worry about it, I can totally understand you". Marco said. "These past couple of days were hectic, it's really crazy how our lives changed so quickly you know?". He said.

"Yeah...". Eren said. "It's really crazy". He continued.

Eren felt like that he can ask Marco about his current predicament, maybe he can help him out. "Hey Marco, I have a question if you wouldn't mind". He said.

Marco looked at him with curious eyes. "Ask away, I'm all ears". He said.

Eren breathed deeply. "Let's just say, for an example, that you lost someone on that day". Eren said, Marco's happy face turned into a mournful one as he definitely knew what kind of day Eren was referring to. "Maybe your mother died, or your father died, or your best friend died....and you knew that there was someone who indirectly caused these deaths". Eren said. "Then you knew that this person had no choice, that this person's family was also threatened if they didn't comply with committing this atrocity". Eren continued, then he looked at Marco.

"Answer me honestly Marco, would you still choose to forgive that person or will you toss that person aside?". He said.

Marco breathed deeply and then he sighed, this was a difficult question for Marco but he nevertheless thought about an answer.