Chapter 13

"That was a rough day". Levi said as he sat on the chair. "But at least we got what we wanted, that's what really matters the most". He continued.

"Indeed". Erwin said as he wrote on his notebook. "But the majority doesn't seem to agree with what the Judge decided". Erwin said. "Of course, it was to be expected from these soldiers and commanders after all. It would be difficult for them to accept that someone who indirectly caused the deaths of their loved ones would be integrated into the Survey Corps again". He continued.

"You were correct in your assumption that the government officials would try to coerce the Judge to get rid of Leonhart". Levi said. "I suppose keeping a secret is more important to them rather than reclaim our lost territories".

Erwin closed his notebook and he looked at Levi. "I fear that they would not stop here". Erwin said. "They know that the soldiers are angry and rebellious against that decision, so they may have something to plan". Erwin said. "That, and I also fear that we may be under their radar". Erwin continued.

Levi drank his tea. ""So you are suggesting we strike first before they do?". Levi asked. "It would be too early, if our cover is blown then we'd give them more power. Giving them more power means that they will force the Judge's hands in executing Annie Leonhart alongside with us". Erwin said. "I would say that we keep an eye out for anything that seems suspicious, if we can find the tiniest speck of evidence that implies they were trying to get rid of us, then it will be more than enough reason to strike back".  

Silence accompanied the duo for a moment until Levi spoke. "There are still questions we need Leonhart to answer". Levi said. "The last time we heard that conversation between her and Armin, she said that she wasn't alone". Levi said. "She also confirmed that the Armored and Colossal Titans have a connection to her teammates, whom we have no idea about their identities or whereabouts". Levi said.

"She knows their identities". Erwin said. "We would interrogate her tomorrow for more information, and we will also shed light upon this topic as well".

"Well, since we are talking about Leonhart, I know that one person will be excited to see her as well". Levi said.

Erwin understood what Levi meant. "Do you mean Hanji?". Erwin said. "She's a titan freak, what else would you expect?". Levi said.

(.......)

"Why?". 

Armin heard Annie speak after what seemed like a decade of silence. They sat in a room that was isolated from the military camp, they said that this was for Annie given her 'special' case.

Of course, Armin did expect such a thing to happen to Annie. He still remembers how they had to isolate Eren until he was allowed to go back to the barracks again.

He looked at Annie whose eyes demanded an explanation, Armin very well knew her question.

"Annie...Didn't I say that you weren't a bad person?". Armin said. "You told me why you did what you did and I understood, I did what I did because I care about you". Armin explained.

"It doesn't matter". Annie said with a fierce tone. "You know damn well that they'll drag you on the dirt alongside with me, and you know it". She continued. "Armin, the least person I want to get hurt is you. Just reconsider your decision and tell Captain Levi or Commander Erwin that it was a big mistake". Annie begged.

"Annie". Armin called. "I already made up my mind before we even entered the court room, nothing will change my mind and you won't be able to". He said. "I know what will happen, but I have my friends by my side, most of all I have you". He smiled.

Annie frowned. "I just don't understand". She said. ""Why would you trouble yourself so much for me? I don't deserve it, I know it, everyone else knows it and you know it". She said.

"Annie, you did a terrible thing and I admit that, but we already talked about it didn't we?". Armin said. "You didn't do it out of free will nor because you hated our race, you did it because you wanted to come back to your father". He said. "But that father is long gone, and now you think that everything that you did was all for naught right?". He looked Annie with compassion.

Annie's face was masked with remorse. "You know that still doesn't excuse the things I did". She said. "I know, but that doesn't mean that you can't atone for the things you did". Armin countered.

"Me? Atone?". She said with a sarcastic tone. "Armin, you've seen how everyone looked at me. Hell, even Levi and Erwin did what they did because they saw me as an important asset". She said. "And you know why that soldier agreed with what they said right? He did so because he wants to  see me suffer, but who can blame him right?". She rambled.

Armin noticed her anguish from the way she spoke. "Armin, tell me how can I possibly atone for what happened that day? Tell me and be honest, what good do you really see in me?". She asked.

He can tell that Annie desperately wanted clarity, Armin also felt that anguish that Annie was feeling and he couldn't help the feeling of remorse and compassion that he held for her.

He saw that Annie wanted to deny herself  true peace and happiness because she feels that she doesn't deserve either. He still sees how remorseful she feels for the actions she did, and he can tell  that she wants to atone for things that she did, but her guilt is only making her feel that she can't possibly atone for her actions.

She thought that she was already a lost cause.

She thought that she didn't deserve neither his understanding nor his forgiveness.

But Armin still saw her as a good person, the way she always treated him and the way she smiled at him were among those reasons.

Though her actions were terrible, any normal person would've did the things she did if their loved ones were ever threatened by a force greater than them. He knew for a fact that if his parents or grandfather were alive, he knew for sure that he would've did the things she did for their sake.

These were among the many reasons why Armin, despite what Annie did, still saw her as a good person.

"Annie". He called again. "I want you to answer that question, if your father wasn't threatened and Marley gave you a choice in the matter, would you bring yourself to do such a thing?".

Annie shook her head. "Never in my lifetime". She said. "Why are you asking that question again Armin?". She asked.

"That's because it proves that you are a good person to me".

Annie became silent as she looked at Armin with wide eyes. "Annie...just come".

He reached out for her and hugged her so he can comfort her, Annie froze at Armin's sudden action. "Armin, stop". She begged. "Why are you doing this?". She said as tears welled in her eyes.

"You need saving Annie, right?". Armin said. "You believe that you don't deserve any of those things, but you are wrong". He said. "Annie...please believe me when I tell you this, but you deserve a second chance, maybe others won't see it that way but at least I do".

She looked down on the ground, she tried to deny that fact but she knew deep down that Armin was right.

She wanted that second chance, she desperately wanted forgiveness but she thought that she deserved neither.

But Armin was willing to do both, he was willing to help her no matter what it cost him.

 She didn't know when she decided to return that hug and begin crying on Armin's shoulders. That burden that she carried because of her guilt was slowly killing her inside, but she finally let it all out.

Armin could feel the pain and guilt from her sobs, just how long was she holding that burden?

"It's okay". Armin said. "It's okay.....".